Cardiothoracic right out of school?

Is it realistic for a new grad to get a job in CT surgery right out of school? I have read some docs want you fresh so they can teach you and not have to fight "bad habits".

Or, do you have to put some years in first to gain experience, or go thru a residency program?

A residency is a good idea for several reasons, if you can tolerate moving and not making as much money as you might elsewhere.

It is realistic to get a job right out of school but best to do it in an established practice where you will be mentored. Nothing in PA school really prepares you for the specialty, so you have to have good support from the outset.

The operative techniques (esp. EVH) and management of critical patients are not part of general PA education so a didactic framework is important- another reason why residency is a good move.

If going straight into a new job out of school, make sure you have a long talk with the PAs at your new job about how they plan to incorporate you into the group. I would NOT be the first PA at a CT practice right out of school.

I have a classmate who went into CT surgery right out of school at a private practice group willing to train him. He is doing well and loves it per the grapevine. So it can happen, but most of the openings I see in my geographic area want serious experience. A residency would be a great way to segue into it, as andersonpa stated above. Good luck.

• 8 months later...

I went into CT Surgery and Critical Care straight out of school. It was helpful to have strong CT, General Surgery, and Critical Care rotations. I was a Paramedic who was comfortable with procedures. My surgeons and intensivists were understanding of where I was in development. I joined APACVS to learn from their meetings, develop a strong professional network, and find a basis for continued learning and advancement.

Good luck.

Archived