Opinion on Night Shift Position

I wanted to get some insight on a job I am considering. I'm currently in a surgical subspecialty at a busy level one trauma center, working M-F, 7a-4 or 5p. I work every 7th weekend, but get days off during the week to make up for those extra hours. The pay is good and overall I like what I do.

The job I'm considering is at the same hospital, with a different surgical subspecialty, one which I have significant experience in already. It will be 3 nights a week, 7p-7a, mostly weeknights, but about 1-2 weekend night shifts a month.

My main reason for wanting to change is that I want more time during the day. I have 2 kids and am constantly missing their activities during the day (class parties, programs, field trips, etc) and it feels that the only time I spend with my kids is spent rushing from here to there, making dinner, homework, and bedtime. Currently I don't see them at all in the mornings. Only one is in school (the other one in day care), so I could spend time with her during the day if not at work.

With the night shift, I'm working less hours overall and most of those hours are while the kids are sleeping. Obviously I'll spend some hours each day sleeping, but then I'll also have 4 days off each week.

Has anyone, especially moms, been in this situation and tried night shifts? Any thoughts or opinions are welcome and would help me make my decision.

Honestly you might be more exhausted. Working nights takes a toll on anyone, kids or not. But I'd imagine it's even harder with kids! Does the night position allow for any rest/on call room where you can nap? I used to work icu and worked a 16hr (430p-730a) and a 24hr (7a-7a) week and it honestly couldn't have been more ideal solely based on the fact that when all my pts were tucked in I slept. I had nights (though rare) where I slept 5-6hrs and functioned normally the next day. I currently am in a diff situation where I get no down time and my entire next day is shot. I feel like a zombie, my metabolism slows down because my eating schedule is so whacky, my immune system took a hit (I've literally been sick 3x the last two months), and my body is genuinely confused as to when to sleep and when to be awake as there is little consistency in my schedule. Working nights isn't for everyone and it's something I genuinely ask you consider heavily before accepting.

Also- if you're going to accept, a night time position oughta pay more. Double check that your hospital doesn't pay an overnight differential!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not bank on doing much during the day when you have worked a night shift before unless you want to kill yourself in a year. you need to come home, create a dark room and sleep, but from what you post here it looks like you work 1.5 FT jobs in your current position so overall time worked could be improved. just out of curiosity, why do you work 7-5?

Sounds attractive in theory. Can you give yourself a trial run? You won't be good for much those three days after the night shift. I don't see my baby at all (except looking at him sleeping) in the middle of my night shifts. I fall asleep and by the time I wake up my husband has taken him to daycare and I don't go see him or get him because I would have to drop him off again on my way back in and it's just cruel to make him have that separation anxiety twice a day. I love the days off but there's definitely a price to pay. If you can - can you renegotiate a different schedule? If you haven't told them you are leaving over schedule conflicts you might have a chance to let them make your life easier.

I see good and bad on both sides. As a young Mom I'm looking for ways to improve my lifestyle as well. Just make sure you're not jumping out of one bad situation and into another

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before school I spent 14 years as a sleep tech. Nights get paid better for a reason. You are trading your health and family time for better compensation. The day of your first shift and the day after you last shift are wasted sleeping, or trying to. If your shift aren't consecutive then the days in between your shifts are wasted as well. The only way to make a night job work is to commit to night shift and stay on it even during your days off. This may work just fine when your kids are in school, but I promise you'll be miserable during vacation and summer break times.

If you do it I would suggest insisting on consecutive work days and do you best to just work 6 days in a row with 8 days off in between. And ask for a significant raise over what you are making now. Nocturnists at the local hospital make $30k a year over the daytime hospitalists to do the exact same job...

+1 on all of this.  If you have never worked nights before, it is pretty much a lifestyle; getting proper rest (before and after shift) is very much like a second job, even if you are single and live alone.  

Before the kids came along, it was not a problem - I never had anything but nights and rotating shift work. But I can't imagine maintaining a night job and having to support kids - especially 12 hour shifts.  

Oh, people do it, but...you remember the sleep deprivation when they were babies right?  Same sort of thing.  I know what you are thinking...on paper, school days you would be able to sleep until 2 or 3...it never works, maybe once in a blue moon.  Trust me, even with 4 days off you are net-net headed for the wall.

Archived