PA student here.. How does it feel to take orders from a doctor who clearly thinks/he she is just better than you because they're a doctor

I do not think it always can be done as you say it. There are plenty of places with "rules" regarding what can and can not be done. Somethings like PA can not order MRI without consulting attending first, or get a consult/suggest admission without discussing it with the attending. I know your situation is different but it is a real thing unfortunately

I would never practice in a setting like that.... no blanket statements ie PA never order MRI with out attending... that is BS

Case in point - I once got into it with a hospitalist who was r/o discitis with a CT - nope, no way, went over his head after he was to stupid to realize his mistake

I think PAs get a lot of respect.  True, doctors get more respect.  I'll tell you about my experiences.  I almost never feel disrespected by patients, and when I do it's usually just a difficult patient that doesn't even respect the doctor.  I've never had any issues with pharmacists or ever heard of any PAs getting disrespected by them.  There are some nurses that have been practicing for years that didn't give me a lot of respect right away, but after working together for some time, they do trust and respect me.  Now doctors... most seem to think they're smarter or know more because they went to med school and did a residency.  Those relationships take time too.  I worked with a doctor that wouldn't even say hello to me when I started because he thought PAs were inferior, but now he calls me whenever he is consulted on any of my patients to tell me about the patient and says things like "I'll let you make the call" or "What do you think?"  In conclusion, often you will get respect just because you're a PA.  Sometimes, you have to actually earn respect and what's wrong with that?  Most people have to earn respect.  It's only a problem if you compare yourself to the doctors, so don't do that.  You can be a doctor if you want to, but right now, you're a PA.

Archived