Lunacy... with our names attached

I would love to uncouple the PA profession from the belief that it is anything like the NP profession.

I agree with their emphasis on "advanced nursing" and 700 hours of clinical training vs 2000+.  But of course MDs could say similar things about PAs.  I agree with the equal pay argument to a point.  I just have trouble reconciling the idea of a new grad NP running their own primary care practice and getting paid the same as a residency trained MD.

There are several arguments at work here, but the glaring facts are:

1. PA and NP training DO NOT = MD training.

2. Please stop arguing that fact.

Now, are there PAs and NPs who are well trained, thoroughly experienced, and functioning at a level clinically equivalent to an MD in some specialties? Sure, you could probably find an argument there, specialty dependent of course.

Are there PAs and NPs who have been working in a specialty for a decade or more that may have more clinical knowledge and capability than a resident? Sure.

But, besides those instances- forget it.

I thought this Article was freaking SATIRE, until all the comments came spewing in.

The inferiority complex and idiocracy associated with this article and several of the comment posters is literally BLOWING MY MIND.

I need a shirt that says "Not With Stupid------->"

J

There are several arguments at work here, but the glaring facts are:

1. PA and NP training DO NOT = MD training.

I am happy to concede that point, as long as there is a follow up:

NP training DOES NOT = PA training.

We might get to a similar place with experience, but right out of school PA training is superior in almost every respect.

"We might get to a similar place with experience, but right out of school PA training is superior in almost every respect."

Fixed that for you.  ;)

(It is perhaps only pride in my profession talking, but I do feel that PA training is better than NP training in every respect.  What is different in some cases is the caliber of the person undergoing the training and more important to the point is the caliber of medical experience the person has before undergoing NP or PA training.  The quality of medical experience effects the final product to a fairly significant degree.)

Archived