From Public Health to Physician assistant

Hello all,

I'm currently considering applying to a PA program. I obtained my degree in Public Health (MPH in Health policy) 3 years ago, and have been happily employed in my field since then. However, due to some possible, budget cuts in my agency I'm looking at different options to continue my health career.

I was wondering If my Public Health experience could be considered as Healthcare experience for my application?

In my current role I have managed and coordinated infectious disease prevention programs in hospital settings, and I've supported both domestic and international disease outbreaks responses. While I did not always have direct contact with patients I worked in projects that were healthcare focused.

Any thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated - thank you.

I think that's a really strong background that can stand out in the sea of applications. But you will need to demonstrate that you are fluent in the interpersonal skills that go with direct patient care. Not just because most schools require minimum direct patient care hours in addition to shadowing, but because you need to demonstrate that you are comfortable and really want to work that closely with people.

You would likely need to get a paying healthcare job to feasibly get the hours. Some programs may count volunteer work like hospice services but you will be slow to accrue hours that route.

Archived