Locums Questions

When you work multiple locums jobs do you have to constantly get re-credentialed?  Do you have to keep giving references or does the locums agency act as a clearinghouse for that?  I'm thinking of doing locums but not crazy about having my references called every 2-3 months and having to repeat the process over and over again.

Also, I was considering hospitalist locums but have never worked as a hospitalist PA.  I have inpatient experience doing trauma surgery, and 2 years ER experience for general exposure to things.  Could I handle doing hospitalist locums without direct experience doing that specialty?

Most locums credential you one time, but some rare situations (like hospitals) want to put you through it again.  Part of it is determined by the length of the assignment.  I just took a locum job at an Urgent Care and the UC overlords insisted on a UDS before I could start.  Not seen that before with locum work, but whatever.  I did it.

Archived