IOM the future of nursing study

A few years back (2011 I think) I remember seeing a Change.org petition aimed at beginning the process of having the Institute of Medicine (IOM) conduct a study on the PA profession. The thought was to produce results similar to those used by the nursing community to help validate the argument that nursing and more specifically in this context, NPs should play a larger role in health care to include independent practice. 

Obviously the petition fizzled out and nothing came out it. However it seemed this was a good place to start. Granted we lack some real advantages of the nursing community such as a giant lobbying body, very favorable political climate, and the ability to use semantics to skirt around certain laws ( practicing nursing vs medicine). That said we do have some very strong points of our own and I have a hard time imaging the outcome of such a study not giving the same recommendation for an expanded role in health care. 

If we were able to get our major organizations working toward the same goals, this may be a good place to begin the argument that we can and should have a road to independent practice. 

PAFT looked into this quite a bit a few years ago. Unfortunately, IOM studies need to be funded. the NP gains were out of a study based on an analysis of the RN profession that cost millions of dollars. There are some other groups currently being approached about writing an opinion on the PA profession. More to follow by the end of 2017. 

Archived