For those who worked as a RN/RT..

Did having this degree already and working in the hospital help you in the PA program?

Did you find yourself having an advantage over somebody with let's say a bio degree?

Did you find the clinic rotations to be a little easier since you had patient care experience?

Overall how much of an advantage was it?

Thanks

Guest hubbardtim48

I have been an RRT, MHSc for the passed 4 years in a level I trauma center, level III NICU and burn center in St. Louis and will start UND PA program in May 2012. This program only accepts RNs, RRTs or any other health professional that has state/national licenses (CNAs, phelm. techs, etc DO NOT COUNT). When I interviewed the committee stated that I had lots of HCE experience which tells me that my HCE was good enough to get in. The minimum requirement for UND is 3 years of full time work. I barely passed that requirement because I worked part time while getting my BSRT and my MHSc. The experience I have had includes trauma (adults/peds), transports (in house and out), intubations, go to /assist in all high risk deliveries under 33 weeks, therapist/physician driven protocols that allow myself to assess and order interventions/drugs, experienced with drager E4/XL/V500/babylog, servoI, PB840, t-birds/VIP&golds, 8400, GE, Hamilton G5 (new vent with pics of lungs), LTV, Newport, trained in non-conventional ventilation (i.e bivent (servoI), APRV (drager), Bilevel (PB 840), Duopap (Ham. G5), VDR, used IPVs, did ABGs, PFTs, hyperbaric medicine. This I can say is not done by most therapist because I have worked in various facilities (agency et worked more than one job et/or PRN jobs). So YES the experience is great if you have had good experiences same as RNs (working in ICUs that have CVP, PCWP, CI monitoring and works with various pressors et/or balloon pumps). Just compare your experience with mine. I have only had a few years as an RRT, but have done a lot in those few years. Also, I have ACLS, PALS, NRP, PEARS (ped. emerg. assessment, recong. stabilization course. This course is brand new so most peeps don't know what it is). I wish I could help you with the rotations, but I have heard from other students (PA et medical students) that RRTs always do very well because of their great hospital experiences (being trained in all aspects in the hospital, kinda like a float nurse). Well good luck and let me know if you need anything else!

I was a RN in the ER for 18 or so years so the clinical aspect really hasn't been a big issue to me as far as patient interactions. I do have to be mindful of the fact that I'm seeing the patient in another role and early on it was easy to slip into a nursing train of thought but not as much of an issue now. The diadatic year there were some courses that I did not have to spend as much time on as others so I could devote that time to things I needed to do but with all classes there are similar cases with each student so it varies by experience. I would say that overall I have had a bit more of an advantage in some stages of PA education based on my history and bedside experience. Good bedside experience pays off greatly when seeing the patient as a PA student, your already comfortable being around patients so its one less thing to worry with. Good quality HCE will pay off great dividends when PA school starts for you. Good luck.

I guess it depends on a lot of different factors

Yes, so many factors to take into account to answer this. However, IMO, any extensive RT/RN experience can be beneficial as relates to effective communication with patients, other staff members, etc. Also, helps a lot with being "comfortable around pateints", procedures and high-stress situations. Although, as a poster above alluded to, the material is vast in PA school. Not sure how much RT experience will help with a complex Derm workup; DDx in ortho; locating the level of that spinal lesion in Neuro; etc. But once this is learned it seems that, in general, the clinically experienced PA student can apply these concepts faster and more efficiently vs students with minimal or less extensive pt. contact experience

I was an RRT prior to PA school, and have been through the whole process. Your RT training will be helpful in the didactic year in so many more areas than just pulmonary. Which I would suggest you not taike with a grain of salt either. With your background you will have the most advantages in cardiac and respiratory sections but you will also have some basics in neuro, gi, heme/onc, peds, infectious disease, HEENT so you won't be starting from scratch but there is still much to take in. The areas which you will need to spend more time because of minimal exposure as an RT are things like rheumatology and musculoskeletal. If you've done any NICU you might have a better handle on labor/delivery but that may be it for women's health.

In the clinical year you will find you can learn things quickly because you have had experience with patient encounters and probably feel comfortable with talking to patients as well as physicians, so you can focus on the other things you need to learn.

Archived