Starting out as a Locums

Phew

So I would compare yourself to the very top of the PA scale, and honestly need to look at what locus doc's get

Think nothing less then $100/hour with full expenses and possibly more

You want to be treated as a partner and highly experienced provider, not some schlep..... Set the standard that you are worth it and don't lessen your standards...

A note about locus - there are a lot of companies that just are doing locus work to make money - that means they charge the company the most they can and pay you the least - and typically as a 1099 - and this stinks... Avoid these companies.... (Unless 1099 rate is crazy high)

Having done a few locums I was amazed at how much the company pays - ie $150/hour for a PA - which I demanded %=$75/hour - they were still getting $75/hour off my labor!! (Ten years ago)

I would also consider cutting out the middle man, and contacting places you want to go and try to set up temporary jobs - 12-24 weeks... Heck just look on Dac Cafe web site for those hiring in your speciality and apply there. - you will need some legal advice to set up a Corp if you want 1099, but also could just do temp contracts with out the locums head hunter....

Thank you!that was very helpfull. I am just scared to death to leave a good paYing steady job, but my husband and I want to travel..talked to a recruiter from staff care today, and they sounded reasonable, but it's a 1099. I need to find out the ones that are W2

yeah, I was actually going to have to take a pay cut to do more of it (when i was at 120k/year) and be a 1099 - just stupid - and the recruiters were trying to tell me that is all they were getting paid.... just lies..... and sorry to say it - worse then a used car salesman as they had no clue....

In researching it there was a few companies that had employee status, and paid a reasonable ($65-75/hour) rate a number of years ago so they are out there.  

They will talk about all the 'tax free benefits' but that is really just housing and travel, and unless you don't already own a house - you are going to have a mortgage and a rent payment, so it is really not advantageous.... 

I would honestly really figure out where you want to go, then put together a little "traveling company" and sell your self for about $150/hour

Archived