A Just for Fun Scenario

I'd pick student #1 in both scenarios for the following reason. Throw out the stats vs. HCE as they sort of cancel each other out, & you are left with student #1 who is very knowledgeable about the PA profession vs. student #2 who is only somewhat knowledgeable about the PA profession. I'd choose student #1, & tell student #2 he was a strong applicant, but he needs to get better acquainted with the profession & see if it's something he really wants, then reapply.

although being a Michigan fan Ohio State is a negative :-)

Hahaha was just thinking of replying with the same comment.

That aside, with the first set of info, it would be applicant #2; with the additional info, it would be applicant #1. They got their stuff together and now perform duties much more helpful toward becoming a PA than a CNA and are more knowledgeable about the profession. This is coming from someone who was certified as a Nurse Assistant at one point. The ONLY thing that is helpful for is interacting with patients. Applicant #1 is doing that plus much more involved procedures.

My initial feeling was to go with applicant #1 in both scenarios because of the experience and because of the knowledge of the field and it's expectations. Totally agree with what a lot of other people have said and it really isn't enough information. I personally would have to get a feel for the person during the oral interviews (honesty, integrity, judgement, personality) and ask my questions there to see if either was a fit for my program. Good thread though.

Student #2. Student #1's GPA is too low. While he has MORE hours, I do not consider ICU more valuable than nursing home. Having worked in both environments, I know nursing home is hard as hell work (not that ICU isn't, I've had hell nights on ICU teching, but it doesn't compare to nurse aide). So I am not going to discount that whatsoever. His GPA is considerably better. What he doesn't know about the health care field, he can learn. Tattoo is totally irrelevent.

Ideally I'd like to accept both. 2.9 is close enough and he seems solid otherwise. However if I could just pick one, I'd take student 2. Age is also irrelevent here.

It has been interesting to see these different points of views. Its funny though, it seems that the ones who are already PAs liked #1 because of the health care experience... and those either in school or in the pre-pa phase mentioned #2 because of GPA...

Some of you mentioned how some of this would be impossible or unlikely (ie - aide in ICU not doing this or that, and NO WAY being accepted into Princeton with a low GPA elsewhere 10 years ago) you have to be careful, some people have amazing, unbelievable life stories... you never know!!!

Archived