Microbiology for nursing majors

So I have e-mailed several schools asking if "Principles of Microbiology" a Microbiology course for nursing majors fulfills the microbiology requirement. One school has replied so far that microbiology for biology majors would be more appropriate. I already have my bachelor's so I am trying to take courses as a non-degree student and my choices are a bit limited. I still think it would be in my best interest to take Microbiology for nursing majors/health sciences as opposed to waiting another semester.

Also, since many of the applicants with jobs in the healthcare field probably took microbiology for nursing majors and used it for their RN or CNA, do you think this will generally be accepted?

Thoughts on microbiology for nursing majors meeting the pre-req?

Thanks!

microbiology for biology majors would be more appropriate.

I don't understand... did they mean they wouldn't accept it, or that they would just prefer the other?

Also, since many of the applicants with jobs in the healthcare field probably took microbiology for nursing majors and used it for their RN or CNA,

False assumption. Most applicants probably took microbiology as part of their degree or as a pre-req after they completed their degree. That's all you can say. Not everyone was a nurse before becoming a PA.

do you think this will generally be accepted?

Most schools have criteria for how they evaluate microbiology courses. Ask the school to examine the syllabus.

Yes, I believe it meant they preferred Microbiology intended for biology majors, instead of nursing majors.

I understand not everyone was a nurse before becoming a PA. I think I was trying to justify why the course may be accepted at schools. I am still waiting to hear how schools evaluate the syllabus and course description. I just wanted to get an idea because I am anxious to register as soon as possible since classes start soon!

Thanks for your help.

Most Schools want Mirco with a lab. Did this one have a lab?

BTW- you can take upper level courses after you have a Bachelor it is called "Post-Grad" when I called my Alma mater, they said I had to "re-apply to the university" but as an Alumni the application fee would be waived :-)

The only bad thing about being a Post Grad status is you are last in line to register. Students still pursuing a degree got first dibs on spots. But even if full classes (unless it was a lab spot situation) most profs added me to the roster once I told them the situation. :-) Good luck.

My school doesn't have a nursing program so, of course, it doesn't have a specialized course. I'm just curious what the difference is between micro for nursing and micro for anything else since I've seen several people ask similar questions. General micro should be the same across the board, no?

Many (likely most) schools have an Equivalency Guide tab on their admissions page for transfer students. That said, most likely these are for students transferring between institutions in the same state or region. I took micro at a local community college which happens to have a nursing program. As a matter fact, all nursing students in WA state are required to take microbiology. I had a long talk with the science department chair and he agreed it should be added to the biology transfer degree as well (only makes sense). Simply because a course is titled "for nursing majors" does not ALWAYS infer that the course comes in below the mark for those pursuing a biology degree. The most you can draw from it is it is a requirement for that major (who knows?). Best to check with the admissions department of the programs you are interested in for a determination.

Best of luck!

I might make the exception that biochem or orgochem for nursing majors is probably acceptable based on what most institutions tell me, and from what I hear from those that have been through PA school. Apparently you just don't use much of either to necessitate the "for majors" course with this. But then again, it is probably a school by school thing. As for BIO courses, I would definitely stick with "for majors" courses.

Archived