How to get patient experience without getting certified first

yalatrac, so let me get this straight... you went in to shadow a PA, and after a year of shadowing they now pay you upwards of $50,000 and let you perform minor surgeries and Pap smears, etc? All without any prior experience or certifications? .... where is this place and how can I start shadowing this PA!!!!

mktalon, The doctor is probably more lenient than he should be and it took time to earn their trust! But I am only paid part time and without any benefits so it gives me a chance to volunteer on the side. I wish he would pay me full time but I guess that is not as cost efficient for him. It is concierge medicine too so maybe that is why they are so lenient without the pressure of insurance companies

Private practices for experience and hours is the way to go!...well for me at least it was :smile:

Just take EMT class. It is only 3-4 months long. Or you can become a scribe. I am one and I have an interview. I also know several scribes who are already got into several programs.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have any information on becoming a scribe? I've looked in my area for medical transcription/scribe jobs, but haven't had any luck. Does working as a scribe count as HCE?

Just take EMT class. It is only 3-4 months long. Or you can become a scribe. I am one and I have an interview. I also know several scribes who are already got into several programs.

I have found that there are a few things that you can do in the medical field without certification. I was in a similar situation as I did not want to go through a cert. program after I had already completed a Bachelor's degree.. it just seems silly.

Dermatology practices use Medical Assistants a lot in their practices (as opposed to nurses) and if you are smart and they like you, they will train you. Also, Opthalmology offices use techs. Some are certified, but I've found that a lot are not. You could also ask around about scribing for a doctor, especially since many are switching over to EMR, some doctors need help in the room documenting the visit. The other HCE is just to volunteer at a local hospital; just make sure that you are specific about being placed into an area of DIRECT PATIENT CARE. (This is important, because some PA schools will be explicit about the HCE that you have.) Be aware of what schools want from you too. Check their examples of HCE and ask them directly if you are unsure! Hope that helps!

Archived