Preceptor search- how to initiate?

Hello, 

I am new to the forum, so please excuse me if this is a recycled topic.  I am beginning the process of applying to various PA programs.  I am eligible for the University of North Dakota's Track 1, but it requires application with a preceptor already selected.  

My question- how does one begin the search for a preceptor?  Contact one's Alumni Association?  Cold call various medical centers?  

I appreciate any tips/suggestions.

Thank you, 

Ashleigh

I've never heard of this so I looked it up.  

It looks like the point of the track delineation is that out of state applicants are only accepted if they have 3 years of health care experience (or in state with the same experience).  I assume THAT is where you would find your preceptor.  UND seems to be assuming that you have worked previously as a nurse, a CNA, an EMT, etc already and have direct connections and relationships with providers that are willing to mentor you through the clinical phase.

If you do not have such connections, I highly doubt you are going to find an MD who just randomly agrees to precept you for an entire clinical year.

EDIT:  They actually specifically list what healthcare experience counts - definitely fields where you would be able to make MD/DO connections unless you job hopped a lot.

Archived