How to ask a MD or PA to shadow?

I have shadowed a couple of PAs in the past through connections I've had with friends, so I never had to formally ask a PA before. I've been working at a hospital for a short amount of time but I know there is a PA that works in my unit that appears to be extremely busy so I never even had the chance to introduce myself so we've only spoken when she needed me to do something. Even though I'm certain I want to become a PA, I want to shadow her because she is in an entirely different field from the ones I've shadowed and it'd be cool to learn what she does.

I was thinking of asking her to shadow her but since she's so busy, I just don't know how to. Do I leave a letter on her desk? Send an email, although that'd be weird since I'd have to ask around for an email address? Wait for her to not look so busy and ask her then?

Also, the school I want to apply to recommends an LOR from an MD, which I'm not sure about either since I've only had contact with those PAs. How do I go about even being around a doctor long enough for him to get to know me?

I can only answer the latter, since I will have a LOR from an MD (just haven't formally asked yet). Find a job as an office assistant or MA, that's the best way to get to know a MD better than shadowing one. I worked as a front/back office assistant and had some hands-on patient care, which is something that'll help when they write the LOR, they can attest for your potential as a healthcare professional.

Archived