New Grad Orthopedic Position/Interview

Result: I walked away and he had the gall to email me back and tell me he was "disappointed" in my "change of heart" and was "saddened" that I couldn't see what a great job he was offering.  I didn't even reply

I read your more recent summary post "Read your contract" before this post.... but when I got to this line in this post I actually scoffed.....

OBVIOUSLY, I'm more sorry for your parents than I am this doc, and I am super glad you didn't fall into that trap!!! What a creep! After all that!

I always read ANYTHING I sign, overzealously in fact, for fear of signing a binding contract that I shouldn't.

I actually avoided signing a contract with a locums company because of this! A locums company was being all nice and had a single job opening I wanted to look into and I was sent 2 links to forms and just told "e-sign these."

Umm.... no...??? When I asked what they were he just sent back, not even in full sentence, "our registration forms. They just get you started in our system."

Of course, I skipped any e-sign portion and got to the bottom and checked the itty bitty (literally!) fine print - I mean it was like something out of a cartoon with the magnifying glass to see it!!! I had to click zoom TWICE on my browser!

It said that by signing it obligated me to being in their service for 24 months without the possibility of working outside of their contract for ANY company that they had a contract for during the time of my contract.....

I'm a new PA searching a specific area for positions..... You can imagine how horrible this would have been to just be like "oh, ok, it's just a registration form, lemme sign right here...."

omg.

I told him off in email and haven't heard back.

I read your more recent summary post "Read your contract" before this post.... but when I got to this line in this post I actually scoffed.....

OBVIOUSLY, I'm more sorry for your parents than I am this doc, and I am super glad you didn't fall into that trap!!! What a creep! After all that!

I always read ANYTHING I sign, overzealously in fact, for fear of signing a binding contract that I shouldn't.

I actually avoided signing a contract with a locums company because of this! A locums company was being all nice and had a single job opening I wanted to look into and I was sent 2 links to forms and just told "e-sign these."

Umm.... no...??? When I asked what they were he just sent back, not even in full sentence, "our registration forms. They just get you started in our system."

Of course, I skipped any e-sign portion and got to the bottom and checked the itty bitty (literally!) fine print - I mean it was like something out of a cartoon with the magnifying glass to see it!!! I had to click zoom TWICE on my browser!

It said that by signing it obligated me to being in their service for 24 months without the possibility of working outside of their contract for ANY company that they had a contract for during the time of my contract.....

I'm a new PA searching a specific area for positions..... You can imagine how horrible this would have been to just be like "oh, ok, it's just a registration form, lemme sign right here...."

omg.

I told him off in email and haven't heard back.

WOW blood sucking. It's dog eat dog out there... 

Glad you didn't fall for that!

WOW blood sucking. It's dog eat dog out there... 

Glad you didn't fall for that!

Yeah, Thanks! I think they see "new grad" and figure there is so much desperation there and we're inexperienced, so we can be naive and they can pull one over on us..... then it's too late to argue it.

I've always been meticulous when signing something.

New Grad, very little ortho experience. Did not have an ortho rotation either. Employer is willing to train. It is a joint replacement center.

This is what they offer..............

- three days of 12.5 hours shift including one shift on weekend; One day in OR mosly knee, hip, and shoulder replacement. First assist. Other two days managing post-op floor patient, and performing ER and inpatient ortho consult.

- $87K (Union job 1199); about $45/ hr

- 10% extra for night shift

- no 401K but pension plan

- 3% raise every year, and one big raise of $3-4K every 4-5 years; (Don't know if there is a max  after which there is no more raise)

- Any overtime $66.9/hr

- first three months probationary period

- 4 weeks paid time off

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, sorry didn't see this before ohm, but probably a good idea to start a new thread.

Either way: where is this job.  Cost of living plays big into whether that $87k is decent or not.  As for everything else it doesn't seem terrible, but what about health insurance, malpractice, CME, licensing, etc.?

Archived