To apply or not to apply?

This is my second topic here on the PA forum, so forgive me if I've misplaced this thread! 

Anywho, I have been asking myself whether or not I should bother applying this cycle. Of course, ideally I want to enter PA school as soon as I can, but I also do not want to waste upwards of a $1k applying to school if there is no chance of being admitted. Currently, I have a somewhat average GPA of 3.5 qGPA and sGPA. I am taking the GRE in about a month and plan to study my butt off. The only issue I see is the lack of HCE I have. Right now I'm finishing up my EMT-B, but I will not be certified in my state until probably late July (I'm getting a NY certification, and then I have to apply for reciprocity for PA). I plan to volunteer at my local station (the only option in this small town), but I would probably only accumulate 200 hours at maximum by the end of the summer. I have a lot of leadership and volunteer activities, which is why my HCE is lacking. 

What I'm asking is should I take a year or two to accumulate HCE and get more adjusted to the atmosphere or should I apply to programs that I meet the minimum requirements and see how it turns out (this may allow me to iron out any other issues that I may have with the PS, LORs)... 

With only 200 hours at the end of summer it's going to be very difficult for programs to offer you interviews when other applicants may have over 2000+ hours. CASPA can get expensive after submitting, supplemental applications, sending your GREs.. ect. Also, it might be too late to apply at the end of summer for some schools particularly the rolling admissions programs as they review applications as they receive them. I would say to wait out this cycle and gain HCE. By next cycle you should accrue about 1500 to 2000 HCE hours which would make you a more competitive applicant.

You have a pretty solid GPA. You can apply to 2 or 3 schools to familiarize yourself with the application process (that shouldn't cost 1k, but still few hundred), but the chances of you getting in with only 200 hours are not bright. Having said that, there are people who get super lucky and get in with only few hundred hours (I know someone who got in with 120 hours, but he had a 3.98 and bunch of other volunteer and research experience).

I would wait until next year if I was in your situation. Get some HCE as EMT, shadow a few PAs, and apply early next year. You should be able to get in somewhere. Take your time and enjoy the time between undergrad and PA school. Good Luck!

I was in a similar spot as you last year. I got my CNA certification in August and I submitted my CASPA with 80 hours in late September. I made a post about my situation recently so you can see the responses there. I did have a little bit of interest from schools and am currently waitlisted at one so there is a chance you could get in somewhere but it's a slim chance. I do wish I had just waited until this cycle so that's what I recommend you do. Wait until next year and you will be a solid applicant. Good luck!

Archived