Caspa question, applying separately

Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

This is my first cycle applying, I was curious, if I had a list of 10 schools to apply for example, can I apply to 5 early and 5 late?

Is it possible to apply to different schools separately?

Read the CASPA FAQ.  ALL of it.  Reread it (I think I read it 3 or 4 times!  Learned something new every time.) - the answer to whatever questions you have may not be in the section of the FAQ you think you'll find it.  

The short answer is yes.  You can apply to as many schools as you like, 1 a day or 1 a week, however you want.  There is limited information you can update or add after the initial submission; and once supplemental information for a school (if required) has been submitted, it cannot be changed.  

I believe the only reason why you would to do this is if those other 5 schools that you plan to apply on later are accepting applications in a non-rolling admissions basis. Therefore, there would be more time to improve one's application for this pool of programs. For programs that accept applications under a rolling admissions basis, there is an advantage for submitting it early.

I am a first-time applicant as well. From my understanding from reading several of the forums here you should have ability to apply separately.

There is VERY limited ability to "improve" your application once you have submitted it.  See the CASPA FAQ.  Read it.  Read ALL of it.  Read it again - you'll learn more every time.  

Yes, you can update your grades for any coursework that was In Progress, but your GPAs will not be recalculated.  

You can add additional experience ... but a month or two or three may not be significant compared to other applicants, so I wouldn't count on that to be a decisive factor.

You can add additional test scores (but not change or replace any you've already provided).

You can add another LOR, or two (assuming you didn't jump the gun and provide 5 right off the bat), or you can replace one that hasn't responded (still incomplete - but you can't delete one that is complete!).  

However, there are some practical reasons why you might do "staggered submission": 

If there are some schools that do not require the GRE, you could submit to a school (or schools) that don't require it.  Take the GRE.  Then update your application with the scores.  (Or update your application with approved scores.)

If there are schools that don't require supplemental application materials, you could submit for them.  Then add other schools that do require supplementals (take more time to complete them, but get your app in for verification in the meantime).  

If the $ is a consideration, you could submit to some schools that are your preferred schools initially, then add others in a later month when you have more funds.  

There may be other reasons, but those are a few that came to mind.  

There are number of reasons why I'd like to submit applications at a different time.

The most important reason is that I still have 2 letter of recommendation and am still waiting for my 3rd one.

Although most schools require 3, I'm trying to apply to those that require only 2.

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I also am applying to a handful of schools later on in the cycle simply because they require you to be finished with your degree and have no outstanding prerequisites. I graduate at the beginning of June but want to submit now to programs who allow it.

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I also am applying to a handful of schools later on in the cycle simply because they require you to be finished with your degree and have no outstanding prerequisites. I graduate at the beginning of June but want to submit now to programs who allow it.

You really need to check with those schools that require you to be finished with your degree and/or prereqs ... and whether completing the degree (and/or coursework) AFTER you do your e-Submit will meet their requirement.  As I said in a previous post, what you can update / add later is somewhat limited.  

Don't waste your application $ if the school won't even consider your application.  

Archived