Choosing between two programs - HELP!

Hi friends,

I am having trouble deciding between two programs and would appreciate some insight as you all were recently in my shoes. I’ve listed pros and cons of each.

Both programs are in the same state and are fully accredited. Both have equal tuition costs, cost of living, class size, and board pass rates. Both are private and have mission trips.

First school:

• 27 months
  • Ranked #3 in the state.
  • Oldest program in the state although not very well known as it is a small health science college.
  • I have been working at the hospital/health care network affiliated with it for over a year and feel I would be at an advantage in terms of having less to adapt to during clinical rotations.
  • Housing expense is covered if you have a rotation that is not commutable.
  • The students I have met at this program seemed happier than School # 2.
  • 42 students in the class

Second school:

• 30 months
  • #1 in the state, bigger and better known school
  • Newer facilities, program also seemed more organized and professional
  • Closer to home by about 1.5 hours
  • I like the location more
  • I don’t think they pay for housing if you are placed in a rotation far away, although I believe most clinical rotations are close by
  • Students seem more stressed than school #1 although it seemed they were given a more well-rounded education (about global issues and policy, etc) than school #1
  • 2nd school has expanded to a satellite campus that will only have 12 students there, with the main campus having ~40. I have been accepted to the satellite campus. Both campuses will have some classes taught in person and some via webcam while it's being taught at the other. This is the first year they are doing this so I guess I would be part of the guinea pig class at the satellite campus.

I have met alumni from both schools which are equally impressive and enjoyed their programs respectively. I like that 2nd school is better known and in a nicer area, but I don’t know if it’s worth it to have that added stress that most the students were expressing during interview day. Also not sure how I feel about being the first class to do the whole satellite campus thing. I like that I am more familiar with the first schools hospital and area, but don’t know if I will regret not going to the “better” program, and living in an area for two years that I do not particularly like.

Does it matter where my degree is from? Do rankings matter? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Archived