How essential is the hands on experience for MDC? and other newbie ?'s .

Hey guys quick overview on my stats. Bachelors in Psychology from FIU in spring 2011 (graduated with a w.e GPA ) . Currently (at mdc) have a 3.7 in my science classes and overall 3.5 (still have 2 pre-reqs to take ) . I'm doing the shadowing like I'm supposed to . Thinking about taking that biochemistry (is it worth it ?) . I'll be applying in 2013 . I know its a little far but, trying to sort out my options . I keep reading that a lot people who apply have some sort of experience , I'm not certified in anything and I won't have enough time to get certified and get more than just 4 months of experience under my belt . So with what I have , I'm not sure if I stand out at all .. because I'm coming to realize me having a Bachelor's doesn't seem to be separating me from the bunch . SO with my stats how good are my chances w/o the experience ? or just overall ? Help and advice will be greatly appreciated ! :sweat:

Joann

Joan its doesnt matter.... It's completely unpredictable Your Bachelors in Physcology wont really do much but tell them you did good in a degree that is not that hard to attain. No organic chemistry or Biology to contend with in BS in Physch.. Rather you have been a nurse, respiratory therapist, or radiology tech. But dont worry about that and no dont take biochem.... It wont make you any more marketable... Just go to NOVA or BARRY and take your GRE if you want to go in with your BIOCHEM, CHEM1 CHEM2 etc... There is absolutly no recepie for being selected.... I know lots of people in the presesnt and past two classes and some have been people like you with a BS. Others have been mediocre students with the bare minimum others didnt even know what a P.A. was. They just googled P.A. and saw the salary and went for it. Kind off like the teachers that got admitted this year. Just get you reqs and go for it believe me its crazy like that, remeber you can become a PCA in 3 weeks and get good hands on skills with patients.

The problem is that , I didn't even graduate with an amazing GPA . I do have awesome grades for the classes required for the program though (Stats, chem, etc.) the reason why I even decided I have a shot at this program was because when I went to the medical campus to talk about it , they assured me that what they look at is my IEP for the program , which obviously doesn't show my transcripts from FIU :/ . But anyways thanks for the PCA info definitely gonna take a look at that.... Where you able to get experience ? from the past threads I saw that you've applied , what are your plans now ? ALSO i've been trying to get a job as an emergency room scribe , which is basically the same concept as shadowing but you're getting paid for it :P . Alrighty , thanks for your response !! :D

Archived