Real rough draft. Any advice?

Maria 

Word Count: 4797

I began being interested in the medical field thanks to my mother, who is a registered nurse. My interest continued to develop due to being in the hospital setting numerous times. I have had many family members and friends pass away over the years and my sister having malformations in her knee and having a woodshop accident meant I was and am in a hospital setting more times than most people. Seeing the interaction between patient and caregiver so often made me inspired to be like them one day. I do not see myself in any other career besides the medical based career. As a physician assistant, I will get the opportunity to do so first hand.

When I was growing up, I lost many family members. I am a believer in “everything happens for a reason”, those family members and friends who had passed gave me a lot of the drive I have today to pursue the medical field. I finally decided that focus to be as a physician assistant. After seeing many of my family members and close friends die younger than they should have, I decided I wanted to be able to help people in a life manner.

When it comes to my twin sister, of course very close, when the malformations began in her knee it stopped allowing her to play sports with me. I wanted to be there with her when medical team approached fixing this problem. The first attempt to remove the malformation was unsuccessful. This frustrated me. It made me want to be one who someone can trust to perform correctly. She still, to this day, has problem with her knee. I look forward to helping different people, children, adults, whoever it may be, with special conditions that can be life changing. I need to be a physician assistant who does that for someone, when no one was able to completely for my sister. Furthermore, the accident my sister experienced was one heard around the county. Experiencing a traumatic experience like that made me realize I could help someone get through that, patient, and family. I could not think of anything I would rather do.

I began volunteering in a hospital so I could be in the setting. I volunteered 80.25 hours through Cleveland Clinic Children’s department and have shadowed more than 50 hours under the supervision of a physician assistant. I thoroughly enjoyed volunteering and shadowing. As a volunteer I was able to interact with patients, understand what it is like to get a form of a bond from caring for someone. To me, there is nothing more rewarding than giving. It gives a sense of recollection, that more people should be caring and giving. When I shadowed, I learned what it is like as a physician assistant. Having patients that seek help that you are there to provide or guide them to someone who can further help. This also gives me a good feeling, knowing I can help someone who needs it. This summer, I will also be working in a hospital will give me more experience before finishing my undergraduate degree which will be another experience I am grateful to have. These opportunities have taught me and will continue to teach me about the importance of being caring, understanding, and the importance of building a relationship with the patient so they learn to open up and trust me as a physician assistant.

I am helping bring back an organization on my university’s campus which is known as “Pre-Physician Assistant Student Organization” where I hold the position of being a Vice President. This position has taught me about leadership, how to collaborate, and work with others for what they believe they need in order to move forward within the organization. I also am a sister of Theta Phi Alpha fraternity. Being in this organization has taught me how to manage my time, help others who need it, mostly in forms of tutoring, become much more of a people person, how to be a role model for sisters younger than me, and the opportunity to participate in philanthropy events. Being part of both organizations on campus has taught me far more than I could imagine, that one can only learn from experience.

First coming into school, I began working during school hours with a heavy school load of one I was not used to. My first semester I was able to keep majority of my grades well except for one class. That class was intern repeated for this reason. As the years continued on, my dedication for study and learning increased. By my sophomore year I was listed as a person of “dean’s list”. My GPA began rising more and more each semester sense. I found what I was learning began to be more interesting rather than the general education classes I took mostly during my freshman and sophomore year. As I started learning in classes that pertained more to me I was excited to learn and understand and know now what I am capable of learning and understanding.

Archived