Sweatshirt Syndrome, or What is in a Name?

There are over 140 different PA programs in the country. Having a recognizable name on your diploma may catch the attention of a potential employer and get your application closer to the top.

However..I know some real turds who have graduated from Ivy League programs and some real shining stars who graduated from Podunk, Nowhere.

I think the school name on your diploma is one small part of your total presentation to an employer.

Disclaimer...PA student who has no real world experience trying to get a job as a PA yet. I live on the west coast where PAs tend to be in higher demand...I don't foresee any real employment issues once I graduate and pass the PANCE.

I think school/name reputation is a factor but not a major one. I used to precept students from a local program and they were so underwhelming in the most basic skills and knowledge that when I later interviewed applicants for entry level clinic positions I found I had a bias toward grads of that particular prog. unless they had experience.

Archived