New Grad Ortho

This is my first offer from my first interview. Will be graduating in early May. This is an offer for a hospital position in CT. I did like the facility and would be working with six surgeons and the service is PA ran. 

-90k for 40 hours (non-negotiable) at mainly one hospital. Stated the do cover a smaller hospital but rarely go. One year term employment agreement 

-Call is 1:7 and two days off before and after. One day of week call and Sat/Sun also taking community calls after-hours 

-5 weeks vacation

-4,000 for CME including covering costs of DEA and state license 

-403B

Similar position to you to shed some insight on other positions for Ortho in CT and what offers I have received...nice thing about hospitals vs. private is joining the 10 year NHSC loan repayment for income based and not being hit with the tax on income differential at the end.  May see slower growth potential and difficulty in salary negotiations once you are fully trained and capable in the OR after a few years.

#1 Hospital based, heavy OR time in Total Joints 

Pa Run Service (15 PAs)

95K based on 10-10-24 or 4 10's, plus 1:7 call (12 hour shift)

Shift differential pay for weekends (Sat/Sun)

5 wks vacation, $1500 CME + 5 days (DEA, license not covered)

403B (match 4% if 8% contributed), Life x 1, Health + Dental, malpractice with 1/3 + tail

#2 Private between two smaller community hospitals 

5 surgeons, 3 PAs

92.5K + 2500 signing bonus/relocation, 40 hrs, 1 weekend call/month (after 3-6 months of training)

Annual bonus (per productivity and skill development) + profit sharing (open discussion after 2 years)

split time between OR and clinic/hospital (2.5/2.5 or 3/2 OR)

22 days vacation + 9 holidays, $1500 CME + 5 days (DEA, license, AAPA covered)

401K vested after 1 year (4% match), Life x 1, Health + Dental, malpractice with 1/3 + tail

Good luck in finding what's right for you.

Archived