Volunteering

The programs I'm planning on applying to really want volunteering hours. I have lots, years and years worth, but I don't if its the right volunteering. I volunteer at a farm at a state facility for the mentally disabled. I clean stalls, feed, and work with the animals particularly the horses. The farm exists for the residents be around the animals, I get animals out for the residents to touch, educate them about the animals and that farm. Some get to ride. I very much feel that that being on the farm, interacting with the animals, and especially riding is therapeutic for the residents. The farm also acts as a rescue. Most of our animals were injured, or given to us after being taken from their owners.

I'm an LVN, and former military so I have lots of HCE, a decade plus worth. I volunteer out there as a way to combine a personal hobby (horses), with something that relaxes me (horses), and doing something I feel good about (helping animals and people). I'm just wondering if this is good enough ( in general, I realize it will differ program to program), or do I need to be volunteering in a clinic in a medical capacity?

If you have that much HCE and a long history of volunteering with something you're passionate about, you're fine. I truly believe that a history of volunteerism means more than a 2-month stint at a clinic just to slap it on an application. It shows you didn't just do it to make yourself look better, and it's something you can obviously speak about with feeling.

Sounds like excellent volunteering, and you have the medical experience down from paid hours, right? So I'd say you're totally set. That is the kind of volunteering you do from compassion not just for an app, if anything it may look better than volunteering at a hospital - it shows you are genuinelly involved in the community. And it wouldn't make sense to volunteer at a hospital just moving beds and cleaning patient trays when you already do way more than that for paid hours.

Archived