Live in NYC and commute to CT?

Hi all!

I am a new PA that started working in a CT hospital not too far from NYC. My lease is up in May and I am considering moving to Manhattan after my lease is up. From my understanding the CT hospital I am at is paying higher than NYC ones I've looked into. Has anyone done the reverse commute? I work with attendings that are currently doing the commute from Manhattan but haven't come across any PAs that do. Hope you all had a happy holiday :) 

I can't speak specifically to reverse commutes in Manhattan, but I have been doing reverse commutes from Pittsburgh. I love it. Trying to travel with traffic is a nightmare, but I often have the road to myself when traveling to and from work. I also love being in the city when I'm not working. If you don't mind a bit of a drive and you love the city, go for it. Best of luck to you!

I have a few friends who live in Manhattan and work in Newark- I think it takes them about 45 minutes in the morning. Also- if your hours permit you to avoid rush hour then it shouldn't be too bad, especially if you work right over the line in a town like Stamford. Metro north express trains to Stamford from grand central are a very quick option as well

Thank you all for your feedback. One of the attendings is driving from the UWS and the other is taking the train from Midtown. Both say it's pretty doable. I spoke to a friend currently working at a Manhattan hospital and am wondering if looking into a possible job through her recommendation is an option come May. She may be moving in with her boyfriend so I can't really count on that as of right now. The job would mean at least a $8k paycut based on the information I have regarding the pay for a new grad at her current location. But if I have to stay at the CT spot at pay more in taxes between the states plus the $$ for the train, would it worth it? I really appreciate you guys shining some light on this.

Tax consequences aside (NYC has their own city tax), NYC has been raising the bar for PA salary recently. I'm not sure how it is compared to the CT one you're currently working at, but most (not all) of the major NYC health systems are paying PAs at a national average rate. Which per AAPAs salary report is 90k/yr for new grads (though I know AAPA report is pretty unreliable).

Archived