Which way to go? PA or NP in the military

Hey everyone, I'm currently an RN BSN in an emergency room looking to go into the military after graduate school. 23yo male.

My question is this, would it be preferable to go into the military as an NP or PA? I would hate to be stuck in a clinic, as I like trauma, and want to use the military as a way to travel and gain experience.

I was always told the PA was basically up front with the unit and the NP was back home in a clinic. Is this true? what should I do to get involved with some trauma, medevac, non-traditional medicine?

p.s. all my PA prereqs are completed, exccept GRE so that's not an issue.

I would say either is fine. Usually you will work in FM alongside with NPs/PAs as the ground pounders of Family medicine. I can only speak for the Navy, but PAs are used more in the "field" with many billets open with the Marines and on large ships. I do believe PAs in the Army are more on the front lines than in the Navy. Remember, Medics and Corpsman are the frontline medical personnel. Usually, PAs and Docs are in the back with a fleet hospital (different kinds of field hospitals) because they are the higher echelon of care. In saying that, they do see their fair share of trauma in that aspect. NPs are usually in hospitals and clinics but can also be deployed as well. IMO PAs are more operational.   PAs also have post grad fellowships in EM, Ortho, flight medicine, Dive medicine (soon), ENT/General Surgery (Air force). 

If you want to do cool clinical work in the military, be a PA. Technically they can go to all the same training, but it just doesn't seem to be the SOP. The NPs I know, which are few in the navy, go on to do admin, work in clinic, ect. I will say if you want to be a lifer, it's easier to make it to retirement as a nurse. I too am an RN,BSN that went PA.

I would say either is fine. Usually you will work in FM alongside with NPs/PAs as the ground pounders of Family medicine. I can only speak for the Navy, but PAs are used more in the "field" with many billets open with the Marines and on large ships. I do believe PAs in the Army are more on the front lines than in the Navy. Remember, Medics and Corpsman are the frontline medical personnel. Usually, PAs and Docs are in the back with a fleet hospital (different kinds of field hospitals) because they are the higher echelon of care. In saying that, they do see their fair share of trauma in that aspect. NPs are usually in hospitals and clinics but can also be deployed as well. IMO PAs are more operational.   PAs also have post grad fellowships in EM, Ortho, flight medicine, Dive medicine (soon), ENT/General Surgery (Air force). 

To add on to this, the EM fellowship is a PhD program, but it's extremely competitive. My former supervisor is in the program right now. Not only is he probably the smartest and most knowledgeable person that I've ever met (including physicians), but he's very good at walking that fine line of pleasing leadership and not dumping on his subordinates. I'm sure the rest of the selectees are similar in caliber.

One good job in the AF that is exclusively for PAs is a Flight PA position. It's a pretty relaxed assignment. Just got crapped on for 4 years at your last tour? Well, just jump into a Flight PA billet for 2 or 3 years for some downtime.

If you really want to come play "on the line" then go PA.  The Army does not put NP's in field (line, combat arms) units, PA's run that world.  You won't be kicking doors or anything like that but I did my first Combat tour as a PA on a COP in remote RC east in Afghanistan. The problem you're going to have right now is getting in.  You'd probalby do better as a direct accession RN than a PA.  I'd contact the PA recruiter to see if it's even an option right now.  The Military is trying to shrink so not everything is available right now. 

Archived