Class of 2014!!

To those of you who have spent some time in Birmingham or are currently living there I would love to ask some questions about some of the neighborhoods around the campus. I am contemplating buying something close to campus to try to get in state tuition for the second year. I know some of the areas leave a bit to be desired. Other than downtown Birmingham/ Southside, what are some halfway decent neighborhoods either close to or walking distance to campus? Where should I avoid? You can reply back here or shoot me a message.

Thanks for your time,

Warren

I live in Birmingham and I am also looking for a new apartment. I want something close to campus and safe, but I do not feel comfortable with any of the places that are in walking distance. My roommate and I were considering something in the highland area. You can go to www.liveonhighland.com and it has several apartments to look at. I know that some of the current students live farther out on 280 and in Hoover.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to all of you,

I'm currently in the 2013 class and just thought I'd give you a heads up on your class FB page. The program will set one up for you and it will be a bridging point for the 2013 and 2014 groups. This will help get many of your questions answered by second years. At some point in the future you will also be paired up with a second year "buddy" so they can answer more specific questions that you might have if you don't like using the FB forum.

And just a quick note on residency. You have to move here for other reasons other than education to get in state tuition... ie. your spouse moved here for work and you came along for the ride... then wanted to go to school. Even if you get AL plates, registration, voting, etc, you will not get instate. It's the states way of pulling in revenue. (unless they've changed the rules recently) And, try to use people who currently live in Birmingham on where to live. That will help tremendously!

Unbelievably, we were in the same place you are a year ago and had a million questions. Try to be patient with the program, you'll get more information soon.

Congrats again and good luck on your moves,

Drew

Cranva,

I finally worked my way through six different people before I was directed to Julie Bryant. When I asked her specifically about my situation she said you would have to rent for two years to gain residency or own for one year. We would not get any help the first year but year two we would be considered in-state according to her. She seemed very confident about her answer. Not sure what others are hearing but thats what I was told.

Good luck.

Warren

Drew,

Thank you for the update! You're right, I do have a lot of questions. I like to plan ahead so, naturally, I'm chomping at the bit here. I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy day to let me know I haven't been forgotten! :) I'll look for the FB invite.

Thanks again,

Amy

No problem guys,

Amy, I think you will find that every one in your class is chomping at the bit and likes to plan ahead... that's why you were all picked to be in this program (the best and the brightest... or the crazy and super type A or all the above).

Regarding FB, we actually have 2 FB pages. One that the program gave us and one we made on our own. It's nice to have your own FB page so you can post things just to your class. Then use the program page for help from 2nd years. Just FYI.

For those questions regarding housing (out of state people), really look into whether you can deal with traffic or not. Out by the summit is crazy in my eyes (off 280), a few people live out on Lakeshore and like it (off of 65), and I live right off 65 before Hoover (takes me 10 min to drive to campus). A lot of people live close to campus (just older buildings w/o the amenities). It just depends on what you like.

Get your housing figured out then just RELAX! I know it's hard but try and enjoy your free time off. Not to scare you, but you wont have much once your here. The material is not that hard... it's just A LOT!

Good luck and if you have any specific questions I'll try to answer them when I have some time.

Drew

No problem guys,

Amy, I think you will find that every one in your class is chomping at the bit and likes to plan ahead... that's why you were all picked to be in this program (the best and the brightest... or the crazy and super type A or all the above).

Regarding FB, we actually have 2 FB pages. One that the program gave us and one we made on our own. It's nice to have your own FB page so you can post things just to your class. Then use the program page for help from 2nd years. Just FYI.

For those questions regarding housing (out of state people), really look into whether you can deal with traffic or not. Out by the summit is crazy in my eyes (off 280), a few people live out on Lakeshore and like it (off of 65), and I live right off 65 before Hoover (takes me 10 min to drive to campus). A lot of people live close to campus (just older buildings w/o the amenities). It just depends on what you like.

Get your housing figured out then just RELAX! I know it's hard but try and enjoy your free time off. Not to scare you, but you wont have much once your here. The material is not that hard... it's just A LOT!

Good luck and if you have any specific questions I'll try to answer them when I have some time.

Drew

Drew,

That explains it! I'd put myself in the "best and brightest" category of course never the "crazy" one... ;) haha.

Thank you for the advice. Everyone is saying to relax as much as possible before school starts, and I'm trying to do exactly that by getting my ducks in a row early. I plan to be lounging by the pool during the last 2-3 weeks of summer not frantically tying up loose ends.

As for housing, I want to be within walking distance of campus if possible. I've looked into the individual lease complexes (mostly full of undergrads). I'm looking for a place with utilities included and furnished and less than $500/month for each person. Do you have any recommendations for a place like this? Also, fellow c/o 2014 students: I'm looking for roommates!

Thanks again,

Amy

Amy,

I'm not too familiar with the downtown area but I believe that it is more expensive to be within walking distance to campus. A few of my classmates live downtown... most live within a 10 mile radius of campus though. Coming in off of I65 is really not bad at all. I was nervous about possible traffic but it really only takes 10 min or so to drive 6 miles. Selectmyspace.com is a great resource when looking for rental properties. It's a free service and they will actually take you to rentals for viewings. They work off commission from the rental complexes. I used them starting in April to find places that met my criteria since I was moving from half way across the country (CO). I then made the move two weeks before classes started.

There are houses everywhere though and the best way to find something is to just research. Forrent.com and companies like them have tons to look through with good info. It just unfortunately takes time. When ever the program sets up your FB page, then it will be easier to speak with a larger group about their living situations. I just can't remember when that was... I really can't remember what I did yesterday ;)

And hopefully you get to take more than 2-3 weeks off before classes start. I took 2 months. It really helped get me relaxed before $#@! hit the fan.

I hope that helps a little.

Drew

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Class of 2014...

My name is Laura Willard, and I just requested to join the facebook group.

Like many of you, I'm in search of housing, and am relocating from out-of-state. I was told to consider the following areas:

1) Highland Ave.

2) Mountain Brook

3) Homewood / Vestavia Hills

Does anyone have any thoughts on these? Specifically the distance from each area to school, and the type of communities they are? As an avid runner, I need to be in a location where I can quickly access a pedestrian-friendly, scenic route.

• 1 month later...

hi everyone! I am on my moms account but my name is Claire Dodson and I was just accepted 2 weeks ago! very happy and can't wait to move to AL. I currently live in CA and my husband and i will be looking for a one bedroom appt. I was thinking Vestiva Hills or Hoover, any suggestions? we want a very safe area and since I'm from Los Angeles I don't mind a little commute. Also I have not gotten any of my packet info yet. What day does school start and when do we have orientations???

Thanks so much!!!!

Archived