FM (W2) vs fast track (1099)

Any input is appreciated:

Currently in FM

-Salary 81K/year (possibly 5% bonus twice per year but not guarenteed). W2 position

-M-F 8:30--5PM (no call). See about 65-70 patients per week but dont have my own patient panel

-10% salary put into retirement regardless of what i contribute

-Health insurance  (75%) covered by company. I pay 25%. Full dental, vision, etc

-5 weeks PTO. 2k CME

ED fast track position

-1099 position 75 dollars per hr x 40 hrs per week (M-F 11am-7PM), which would come out to about 150k per year before deductions

-Malpractice is covered but that is all. No health or other benefits. Do have option of getting health through my wife as she is a nurse but last day for open enrollment is tomorrow.

Thoughts?

You will pay almost 15% of the 1099 job in social security so take that off the top of the 150K (138K). 

81K is low but you have a relatively easy job, five weeks off per year, almost 9,000 in retirement (so that makes 90K), 2K for CME, and health insurance (another 8K) which brings you up to 100K.  The paid vacation/PTO is almost one tenth of your salary (another 10K) so you are up to 110K.    If you get even one 5% bonus I think this is a pretty competitive job in most areas and it seems like you will have enough time per patient to do a really decent job especially if you are a "newer" PA not in a major metro area.   And, even if you will not have your own patient panel, you probably will see them often enough to develop good relationships.  I would doubt that you would have to work weekends and holidays (not like the fast track).    Fast track in an ED can be a pretty burn out job.  Just my opinion. 

If we're speaking in strictly monetary terms, there is no way the FM practice's benefits even come close to being worth 70k.  I think jobs that offer these 80kish base salaries are behind the times. Does the ED position require only a certain number of shifts per month?  Having no time off other than weekends is a recipe for burnout. 

Archived