I have some shadowing opportunities over the next months. Advice?

I've had several potential PA students shadow me. so I'll offer a few thoughts (mostly on etiquette, and then on education).

1)  Make sure a staff person advises each patient you might see with the preceptor that a student is shadowing and then secures that patient's permission for you to be present.  Introduce yourself to the patient when you enter the room with the preceptor.

2)  Have an extra place to sit in the room, if possible.  It's awkward for everyone for you to be standing over them.

3)  Get to know the names and job descriptions of all staff members.  Offer to help with things you are able to do, such as clerical tasks.  If you have a healthcare background, you might offer to take vitals, if everyone is in agreement with this.

4)  Observe very carefully your preceptor's behavior and don't overlook the less tangible aspects of the encounter.  How does the preceptor relate to the patient?  Establish rapport?  Challenge non-adherence?  Provide empathy?  Thinks about why the preceptor is asking certain questions in the HPI and why he/she is performing certain aspects of the PE.

5)  Keep paper and pen in your pocket and write down all questions that occur to you regarding every encounter.  If time permits, ask for a debriefing at the end of each encounter or at the end of each day to review your questions.  Go home and figure out on your own what did not get reviewed.

6)  Ask for a homework assignment each night.  I would assign my students to review each diagnosis we encountered, each medication we prescribed, alternative treatments that we did not choose, epidemiology of certain diseases, etc.  That way, you expand your knowledge of these things in the context of an actual patient encounter that gives these abstractions a face and a humanity.

7)  Be mindful of your own reactions, emotions, biases, etc., that may be triggered by some of the patient encounters.  This is useful self awareness about your future in medicine.

Hope that helps.  Enjoy the experience.

I've had several potential PA students shadow me. so I'll offer a few thoughts (mostly on etiquette, and then on education).

1)  Make sure a staff person advises each patient you might see with the preceptor that a student is shadowing and then secures that patient's permission for you to be present.  Introduce yourself to the patient when you enter the room with the preceptor.

2)  Have an extra place to sit in the room, if possible.  It's awkward for everyone for you to be standing over them.

3)  Get to know the names and job descriptions of all staff members.  Offer to help with things you are able to do, such as clerical tasks.  If you have a healthcare background, you might offer to take vitals, if everyone is in agreement with this.

4)  Observe very carefully your preceptor's behavior and don't overlook the less tangible aspects of the encounter.  How does the preceptor relate to the patient?  Establish rapport?  Challenge non-adherence?  Provide empathy?  Thinks about why the preceptor is asking certain questions in the HPI and why he/she is performing certain aspects of the PE.

5)  Keep paper and pen in your pocket and write down all questions that occur to you regarding every encounter.  If time permits, ask for a debriefing at the end of each encounter or at the end of each day to review your questions.  Go home and figure out on your own what did not get reviewed.

6)  Ask for a homework assignment each night.  I would assign my students to review each diagnosis we encountered, each medication we prescribed, alternative treatments that we did not choose, epidemiology of certain diseases, etc.  That way, you expand your knowledge of these things in the context of an actual patient encounter that gives these abstractions a face and a humanity.

7)  Be mindful of your own reactions, emotions, biases, etc., that may be triggered by some of the patient encounters.  This is useful self awareness about your future in medicine.

Hope that helps.  Enjoy the experience.

I see some schools want 1-2 shadow experiences and some say they want 50hrs.  how many hours should i expect to shadow each different PA/MD?

I would say look up some information about the role and education of a PA prior to shadowing.  Some providers are more accepting of basic questions regarding their role than others.  This also depends how old you are and where you are in your education path.  If you're in undergrad or have already graduated = should have higher baseline knowledge that you researched.

My BIGGEST advice... shadow multiple PAs.  The first PA I shadowed did mostly office work.  I hated it, and would never accept that job now as a practicing PA.  Every job is different, and its important to realize that when shadowing.  I also believe you should shadow other related careers: MD, RN, NP, etc.

Enjoy the experience!

Archived