Retake question?

If I were you, I'd go ahead and not ruin the current track I'm in and tough out Gen Chem 2. In my campus (UIUC), CHEM 102 and 104 (1 and 2, respectively) didn't fully build upon one another. It was more of a continuation of all of the topics of General Chemistry. For example, topics A and B in CHEM 102, and C and D in CHEM 104. I would just take a summer course for Gen Chem 1, whether or not it counts towards your university since CASPA takes any accredited UG credit.

I also got a C in gen chem II but got an A in gen chem II. In my opinion gen chem II is completely different and all I really used from gen chem I were the ions and some oxidation problems. Keep in mind that if you apply to caspa schools they average the two grades together. If you get an A in gen chem I second time around it is only a B. Personally I am going to take it over anyways because it is a pre-req and schools look at those a little more closely then the other classes.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that the question shouldn't be whether or not to retake the course... but rather identify what it was that caused you to get a C in the class in the first place. If it was not putting enough effort in, that can be fixed with weeding down extracurriculars and making a stronger commitment to Gen Chem II. Most likely making those changes will bump up your letter grade. However, if the problems were conceptual... if you exhausted all of the resources (i.e. prof office hours, tutoring, group study sessions, etc) and you still didn't understand the concepts... you may want to retake. On the large scale of all the courses you have to take... Gen Chem I is probably looked at the least. If you ace Chem II and take Orgo and do well.... along with a good science GPA... my guess is that a C early in your academic career will no longer seem like not a big deal to you : )

Archived