job interview tips

I have a job interview next week and would appreciate some advice.  I have a job now as a hospitalist with 5 months experience (including ICU), however the pay is only 70,000.  I am terrible at interviews and it took me 8 or 9 interviews before I got a job as a new grad.  This job would be a hospitalist position.  The workload is half- 10-13 pts.  with 12 hour shifts 7 days on, 7 off compared to my job now is m-f 8-5 with one weekend seeing 15-20 pts a day.  Also the pay is not based on experience and will be almost double my salary.  The position is also only 10 minutes from my house.  Need help because I can't blow this interview. 

thanks. 

Oh good luck!  Advice is #1 know a little bit about the hospital #2 be confident that you deserve the position and #3 enjoy the interview!  I actually work as a hopsitalist 7 days on, 7 days off and see about 10-13 a day as well! It's a nice gig.  I thought of the interview as more of an opportunity to learn about the job and see if I would enjoy it as well as the people that were there and that worked for me!

Best of luck!

Pay attention to your body language. Make a conscious effort during the interview to assess how you're sitting. Lean forward, keep your elbows away from your body. Google Amy Cuddy's TED talk. May sound bogus, but it works. If you can use something as simple as body language for advantage, do it. Also, you don't have to answer every question. Be a politician. Use any question to say what you want them to know. 

An employer, having been one, doesn't like to hear the first words out of the potential employee's mouth something about money or how much time off they get. I suggest that you do your research about the institution and even learn as much as you can about the person interviewing you (without looking like a stalker).  Talk about what you can do for the employer. Only at the end, when you have them in your corner, bring up compensation. 

Archived