2nd yr students: Pt tracking software and smart phones

Hello!

So on the info sheet, Medex suggested smart phones that you could put patient tracking software on, but stated that they weren't mandatory. Our phone contract just ended so my husband and I thought it would be a good time to get smart phones. And we hate them.

Is having a smart phone really that big of a convenience? Would you say they're more necessary than not? I'll keep mine if it really does make my life a ton easier. If not, I'd like to go back to my "dinosaur" clam shell one. Anyone else not have one and gets by just fine?

Thanks!!

Okay.... :) I actually went back and edited my response because I didn't want to talk out of turn. I was just going to say that I have an Android and I love it. I get free apps like Epocrates, Pepid, Medscape and a few others. I use them on the job for what I do right now and it's a great resource. I don't know what software MEDEX requires, but I think it's just a suggestion so you have everything all in one place with one less expense of buying another device. Almost all of us have our phones permanently glued to our hip :) At least I do! Lol! If you don't have a smart phone, you'll probably have to get a palm pilot or some sort of PDA to have all the programs at your finger tips..... I think it's all just a matter of preference though. Like I said, I'm a newbie. I will start the program in March :)

Sara

You will need some form of smartphone or smart device that is compatible with epocrates. You will need them when taking your Pharmacology Tests. Also if you have a smartphone you can go on the internet almost anywhere. I was just at a Military Base for 2 months and I had no computer access, so I was really glad that I got one. During the clinical phase you have to log all of your patient encounters into Typhon (Web Based Tracking Software) You can get away with a PDA or Ipod touch during didactic because there is usually wireless internet there... but during clinicals you may not have wireless access or computer access. Also during your down time you may be stuck somewhere with no computer and need to e-mail/scan/enter something. It comes in handy! I put off getting one for the longest time... because I did not feel the need, but I need it almost daily now.

you'll probably have to get a palm pilot or some sort of PDA to have all the programs at your finger tips.....Sara

Palm Pilot? What is this 1999? :) @l.a.lewis - get an iphone and call it a day. (My opinion) don't waste your time with the competitors... some of them are great products, but Apple is the primary dev platform for most major HIT providers.

ePocrates, Medscape others found here http://tinyurl.com/c63a4z may be useful as well.

From this 2nd year MEDEX student: do yourself a favor and get an iphone or an android, you will learn to love it. I have an android which is fantastic! I use it all the time in clinicals and first year as well. An ipod touch won't help you at all if your in an area without wifi. get one and in two weeks you will wonder why it took you so long to get a smartphone. Have fun!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Archived