Any fellow RDs out there?

Just curious to see how many other Registered Dietitians are out there who plan on applying to PA school and any ways we can help each other out.

Just curious what steps other RDs are taking to make themselves the most competive candidates, avg HCE etc.

I have a MS in nutrition and wondering if anyone else has a similar background and if they are going for the PA certificate or getting another Masters.

My background: I have ~ 7500 paid HCE at a small acute care hospital where I see all pts; ICU, Med/Surg, NICU and see outpatients. I plan on shadowing a Trauma PA, family practice PA and specialty PA. I have a MS in nutrition and most of my science classes were completed in the 2002-2006 time frame-so I am limited on PA programs that have < 10 yr pre-req time frame because I would really prefer not to have to re-take classes. My GPA is about 3.8, and my GRE scores are 1240 + 550 on the writing section. I have 2 PAs who I work with who have offered to write recommendation letters and I plan on asking either a trauma or internal med MD to write my 3rd letter.

I am frustrated with the field of dietietics and looking forward to a new career path in healthcare.

I know that EMT/paramedics and RNs are typically 1st tier when it comes to PA program admissions, so what are other RDs doing to make themselves competitive?

Thanks!

Hello, I have been RD for 20 years and CDE for 15. I had a great career with a tremendous amount of job satisfaction but we moved out of state and I have had much unhappiness. I had 6 PA friends back where we moved here from who always encouraged me to become a PA but I had no interest at the time since I loved my job so much. Now I am trying to get into PA school. I have had some set-backs (rejection) but will try again next year. The 3 schools I have talked to here in the Midwest say they love having RDs as PA students.

Archived