Etiquette for sending thank you notes post interview?

Do interviewees typically send thank you notes after an interview? I am planning on writing a thank you note to my two interviewers and the admissions coordinator. I am not sure if that is a normal thing to do these days. Also, should I send one via email or is a hand written one better? Thanks!

I think it is appropriate to send a thank you note that is brief. I personally did email and sent the thank you email either the same day I interviewed or the next day at the latest. You can do a hand written one as it is more personal, but it may take them a few days to get it. I tried to always send mine pretty quickly so they still remembered who I was. Hope this helps. 

Yes it does, thank you! What kind of information should I state? I know you said keep it brief. Just pretty much say thank you for the opportunity of interviewing and I enjoyed meeting them? I don't want to come off too eager. My individual interview didn't go as great as I had planned so do I mention anything about that or just keep it to the thank you?

I mainly would keep it pretty generic because I didn't want them to feel like I was trying to persuade them in any way or anything like that. I did make it a little personal to each specific interviewer in that referencing something from the interview that stuck out to me. For example, I would thank them for the opportunity to interview with the program and that I really enjoyed speaking with them. One of my thank you notes I mentioned that I enjoyed learning about one the interviewers specific journey through PA school and how she has returned to the program to teach. Another I mentioned about how I enjoyed learning about how he helps students to be involved with volunteering by him attending all the events he promotes, etc. 

Oh lol. That's why I was wondering. I've always learned that it's polite to send a thank you note after interviews and I've done this with many job interviews too. But I'm sure it's not looked down upon if you don't!

Writing a thank you note definitely isn't a requirement and I know there are many people who don't like PAGUY55 stated. I think it is personal preference on what you would like to do. I don't think it hurts to write them if it is something you personally think is important. I know I wrote them for all the interviews I attended and was accepted to all the programs (I don't think my thank you notes had anything to do with the decisions of those schools, but for me I thought it was appropriate to write the notes because it was something I have always done in the past as well).

Archived