Urgent Care Offer (new grad)

I received an offer from an ER (see previous post) and an urgent care. I love ER, but, the pay for a new grad just isn't competitive enough. I interviewed at an urgent care recently, and I feel the pay is very competitive, but let me know what you think.

-$65/hour, 12 shifts monthly, 13.5 hour shifts, guaranteed $126,360 annually, and able to pick up more shifts, (They said that they normally start at $50 for a new grad, but said I interviewed well and wanted to start me off higher. Never had to negotiate).

-health and dental insurance are 50% paid by company, has disability. Tail and malpractice fully covered.

-no PTO, no CME, did not offer sign on bonus, no reimbursement for licensing fees, and no time commitment required (just need to give 60 days notice if I were to quit)

-will train for two months (this is not yet in contract, and HR seems to be dragging their feet). I need to wait until they include this in right? I definitely don't want to be thrown to the wolves all by myself. After two months, I will be the only provider during shift, but able to call supervising physician.

Every shift could be at a different location in the metropolitan area, but verbally stated they try to keep the provider closer to their residence.

My questions:

I feel like this is a fair offer for a new grad? What are your opinions?

Does two years of urgent care experience qualify as ER experience, if I ever want to go into ER?

Also, I visited one of their locations on my own, and they don't use an EMR system? It's all paper? I've never done paper charting... I talked to the PA working there and she said she preferred it over EMR system (she was older though).

This really seems like an awesome offer. 

the one sort of "red flag" that jumps out to me (and I am just a student so bear that in mind) but from a business standpoint, offering you $15 more an hour just because you interviewed well seems odd. I obviously am not the one who interviewed you or saw your CV, but it seems weird that you would get $15 more an hour than a new grad who had a "good" interview. I would just keep that in the back of your mind. Seems strange to me, but n=1. Is there any indication of there being a trap somewhere? Long contract? Crazy non-compete? Do they "turn and burn" new grads in the past?

I think they offered more to me because the owner of the urgent cares interviewed me, when I was supposed to be interviewing with someone else. The owner really liked that I am fluent in Spanish and English, and he did ask some tough "what if this happened to patient" questions, that I answered correctly without hesitation. The offer did seem too good to be true, which is why I visited one of their locations. The PA there had been there 3.5 years and loved it. There is no non-compete clause, and no specified time that I would have to commit to be being there. It is a little daunting that I will be there by myself after two months, other than a MA, and xray tech. During the two months of training, I will see how I would feel if I were all by myself. Good points though that I have also considered. I have gotten a great vibe from this company, with the exception of their slowwww HR department.

Do you know how busy the shifts generally are? Also, make sure they are hiring you as an employee and not wanting you to be an independent contractor.

From what they told me, I could see anywhere from 18-40+ patients daily. The PA I spoke with said the same thing, however, she did say one time that she say 70 patients once on a New Year's Eve (that was one time). I asked the PA if I could shadow her next week to see what a typical day looks like.

Honestly, it is a great offer. All your benefits don't even come out to 15k/yr. No PTO (avg is 3 weeks), No CME (average 1 week and 2k), and you pay 50% of insurance (about 2k/yr?). No sign on bonus or licensing fees (1.5k). Therefore, if you discount that from your base salary, you are still starting out with 6 figures. Having said that, 18-40+ seems like a broad range. 40+ patients in a day can be too much for a new grad, especially only after 2 months.  

• 1 month later...

Take it from a PA with 9 years' experience that worked 12, not 13.5 hour shifts. I was left alone, which was fine, after two weeks and saw upwards of 40 pts per day, which was way too much. It was miserable...no lunch break, just go, go, go. You will burn out very quickly, you will not have time to learn from listening to patients and more importantly, you are at a huge risk for making mistakes. If you plan on taking this job for about only six months I would say go for it, grin and bear it. But trust me, the patients, at that pace, will not be happy, which will in turn make your boss and even supervising MD unhappy.

Best of luck!

Archived