Can someone make light of this for me?!?

Okay, so just a tad bit discouraged.

Here I am, a year later from applying/interview/WAITING since last years cycle. At that time I was right out of University with a BSc in Kinesiology. I applied to 2 schools. Appy fell through one because of pre-reqs, and the other I was offered an interview. I did not have any prior "paid HCE" in the past, rather some clinical/athlete care that I felt was valuable... this included an internship at a outpatient rehabilitation center, and student athletic training for 1000+ hours combined. So i was interviewed, and then put on the waitlist. Awesome, fantastic... i couldn't have been happier (or i could have if i was accepted). Needless to say I never made it off.

This year. I have ~1500 hrs as a pharm tech (I know this isn't "valuable", but it has been the only option as any other way to get experience is through cert programs, and believe it or not it is difficult to get healthcare jobs in countries other than the US). I have been enrolled in a Phlebotomy program since April.. yes, April. I am not from the US, so unfortunately the programs in my Country take a while. Regardless, I will be certified in a month.. and this was all documented on CASPA. To add on, I have ~100 volunteer hours at a Cancer Clinic in my hometown. The list is greater than this with other qualties and accomplishments, but I want to get to the point. From last years cycle to this years my application has improved quite significantly. Not only that but I have even more dedication, motivation and any other -ation you can think of to be part of this profession. I ABSOLUTELY WANT this, and I there is no doubt in my mind I can get through the program and be a great clinician... and I have the grades/coursework to prove that (3.75 Cum/3.85 Sc with 180 credit hrs and still going). All of this while playing 4 years collegiate sports. I can handle it. I haven't stopped taking coursework since last year, building on recommended/suggested courses. Point is, I haven't stopped, and it takes a toll when there is no positive feedback. I was extremely excited to have the opportunity to be offered an interview to the school I was waitlisted at, and thought how could I not at least get another interview. Well, nothing yet, and it's difficult to imagine getting one. Other than that I applied to 8 other schools; 1 interview (which I was denied), denied interviews at all others except for one that I am still waiting to hear from. There is alot of pressure on me to get in this year, for personal reasons... and because of that, I feel like I am letting myself and others down (it's a bit complicated). I am a personable person, and feel that interviews are not my weak link. I was offered an interview so obviously my narrative wasn't horrid which leads me to think... what happened?

I am not trying to complain, nor do I want to get on here looking for a shoulder to cry on. I simply just want to get some feedback to see if maybe I need to change something. Either way, I will keep my nose to the grindstone.

Sorry for the long post. Had to get it off my chest :;DD:

Well, nothing yet, and it's difficult to imagine getting one. Other than that I applied to 8 other schools; 1 interview (which I was denied), denied interviews at all others except for one that I am still waiting to hear from. I was offered an interview so obviously my narrative wasn't horrid which leads me to think... what happened?

Are you sure your narrative is spot on?

I feel like you might be coming off as "entitled" to the profession because of your past success in school. How do you know you will have no trouble getting through a PA program? How do you know you will make a great clinician? Is it just because you played some sports and got good grades?

See what I'm getting at? I think you have the right "don't give up" attitude, but I'd do a gut check on your app, and look through it for the overall tone you're sending out to programs. Also, just gaining more HCE could be a deal buster for a lot of schools. 1,500 hours isn't much (well, maybe its enough for some programs). But check to see if your goals and personality line up with the schools you applied to.

Best of luck, and keep on keepin' on!

Are you sure your narrative is spot on?

I feel like you might be coming off as "entitled" to the profession because of your past success in school. How do you know you will have no trouble getting through a PA program? How do you know you will make a great clinician? Is it just because you played some sports and got good grades?

My apologies if I sounded entitled to either the profession or an interview for that matter. I work hard for it just as anyone else would. However, to answer your questions, I do not know forsure if I will/can make it through the program or whether or not I will be a great clinician. I DO KNOW that based on my past experiences in sports, academics etc that I will do everything in my power to be succesful and be a great clinician. Of course I am going to say I will get through the program, I don't think anyone would say they would'nt make it. It's just positive affirmation voiced out. It is not because I am "entitled" rather because I have the will, motivation and grit to WANT to get through it... the background just helps.

I guess it's just the idea of being that close, and then taking a step back. I just can't seem trace how the step back occured. Like I said before, I do not feel I have entitlement. I am an honest, hard working student trying to get some feedback. If there is no answer, let it be, and i'll keep climbing with no looking back!

To be honest, there are so many great PA candidates out there now and it is a competitive world. I have very similar stats and have well over four years experience as a Paramedic (a very respected profession) and was rejected at some schools, but also accepted as some. Every aspect of your application has to be spot on including the personal statement. Each school has a different "type" of student they are looking for and you need to try to find those schools that fit your experience and tailor your app to fit them.

Obviously, the interview is crucial too! Most applicants will be like you, have great grades in college and REALLY have the desire to be a PA. You have to find a way to set your name apart and that is more than likely something you have to do on your own. Honestly, the lack of HCE is probably letting you down. The PA profession is now being driven by previous healthcare professionals that have years of experience. I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks for your replies.

I don't know what schools you applied to, but many state schools have an obligation to cater to in state applicants first. Being a foreign applicant can make things more complicated. Additionally, PAs are a staple of the US, and growing in other parts of the world. I'm not sure how the notion of training a PA from a country where there isn't an official PA presence (just guessing on that one because I'm not well versed in how your situation plays into this).

It's funny you say that. My previous interviews have always brought that to attention. One was not only asking for me to compare health care between the two countries but the question seemed like an inquiry on the profession in my country. It was kind of neat because at that point I was able to somewhat provide information to the adcom of the views/practices of the PA profession where I live... and we do have PA presence. My other interview actually brought up the obstacle of transitioning from citizenship to a student visa (which I easily obtained for the 5 years I had been in school in the US). It's definitely a good conversation piece and one that I am fully aware of and use to my advantage. But yes, I agree. It is a challenge that is unavoidable.

However, to answer your questions, I do not know forsure if I will/can make it through the program or whether or not I will be a great clinician. I DO KNOW that based on my past experiences in sports, academics etc that I will do everything in my power to be succesful and be a great clinician.

There you go. I think you're dialed in pretty well. I know a PA who recently retired, and he had applied 6 years straight before finally being accepted. He was an amazing PA. Don't let the rocks on the track derail the train. You're a sports guy, you're competitive, and when you don't get your desired outcome, its frustrating for you. But, like in sports, you keep training during the off-season to better yourself in any way you can. More HCE, volunteer work, etc, will all contribute to making you that person the schools invite to the interview. They'll also like your persistence as a re-applicant.

Archived