Retaking courses

Hey everyone, Im new to the site and had a quick question.

So I am currently a Junior in College @ UC Davis and have many inconsistencies in my transcript. Some quarters i did ok and some i didn't do so well in. I was wondering would it be advisable to retake say my general chem at a community college or not?

I wanted to improve in those classes and at my school anything above a C- you CAN'T retake. So i have a few C+ and C 's sprinkled in there, but unfortunately they're in my prereq classes.

SO would anyone know how it would look if i were to retake a few of my prereq classes at a community college?

I know one school I looked at (UTSW) recommended NOT retaking classes. Both grades (old and new) get averaged into your CASPA, so they preferred to see you take other, harder classes and do well in them. Since your GPA would be the same with an A in the new class or an A in the retake, they wanted more courses listed. Check your schools of interest, they might say different.

I am in the process of retaking a couple of pre-recs. As mentioned above, some schools frown on it, but I have found most don't. Speaking to one of the schools that I would like to attend, they would rather me retake a course and boost the GPA a bit. It also shows that you are willing to improve.

I was in the same boat, I got a couple of C's in my early days of school. I am retaking those classes as they are core pre-recs for the programs that I want to go to. I had to go to another school in order to do it, but at least my GPA will get a little better and I can prove that I have a good grasp of the core pre-recs.

As far as Community College credits, your programs will decide if they will take them. Most schools have no problems with it.

Archived