Interviewing in SNOWY WINTER?? (I am from California)

Hey all,

I have two interviews lined in January, one is in Chicago and one is in DC. I have very little exposure to snow (only at ski resorts) and don't really know what to expect. I hear that both areas can be brutal in the winter..

Will the campus tours have any component that involves walking outdoors?

What kind of outerwear should I wear? Are you supposed to put on a pea coat over your suit jacket when you walk outside? What if you're wearing heels and it's wet and snowy outside?

Should I change anything about my interview outfit? I was planning on wearing a business skirt, jacket, nice blouse, and black heels.

What if there is a snow storm and my flight gets delayed and I can't make it to my interview!?

Sorry if these are dumb questions!

Take an earlier morning flight the day before the interview that way if your flight gets canceled you can have possible other flights to catch. I would suggest pulling up the campus maps to the interviews you are going to. Where I went we got a tour of the building everything was there, including a library, except for gross anatomy lab. So heels not an issue. Coat you will need a dressy coat appropriate to wear with a business suit. If it looks like you will be tramping across campus, bring a more appropriate shoe and keep it in you briefcase/sachel bag. Good luck.

Also try calling the programs secretary, I bet they can tell you if you be walking outside.

You may want to change that business skirt to pants or bring some nylons with to wear with the skirt. Otherwise that tour of the campus is going to make your legs cold and numb. Also with that jacket you might want a nice scarf and gloves. If its wet and snowy and you are in heels, take small steps. The school will more than likely have a coat rack or something so you aren't carrying around your coat all day when you are inside.

I interviewed in Boston during that freak snow storm thing a few weeks ago and wore pants with flats and my northface fleece over my suit jacket (didnt pack the peacoat as I wasnt expecting it to actually snow didnt seem to matter as I got in) I would skip the skirt unless the weather forecast for the day is unseasonably warm (i.e. warmer than 40 degrees). If there isnt snow on the ground I would wear pants and flats with some kind of warm black socks (smart wool has awesome warm dress appropriate socks but any places will do) if there is snow on the ground I would go with dress boots- many pairs will look great under pants and you will wear them again if you move to either place. You will need the wool peacoat as well. I live in chicago (originally from Fl) and interviewed at Rush and Northwestern this year. Rush's tour is inside but at Northwestern you will be walking up to 3 or 4 blocks outside by the lake (where the wind is brutal). Both Rosalind and Midwestern are in the suburbs making it easier to rent a car and stay warm easier. Flights are usually on time in and out of midway but not ohare but either can be horrible in rough weather. Hope thats helpful!

If you're going to Rush or Rosalind Franklin, the whole tour is inside. At Rush you park in a structure that is connected to the building where the whole day is spent, so no jacket needed. RF is a short walk from the surface parking lot into the building and could be done sans-jacket on all but the worst weather days. If you're going to be exploring Chi before/after you obviously want to bring something but it could be a ski jacket if you don't need to wear it at the interview.

Archived