Medical Malpractice insurance questions.

• 4 months later...

I am looking to change jobs and trying to figure out how malpractice insurance will work once I leave my current position. I work in primary care and am covered under my SP's policy. I am not sure how much this cost. I am in the process of trying to determine if this is a claims made vs occurence policy (I took this job straight out of school and realize now I should have had this info before signing a contract). TAil coverage is not covered for the first 2 years at my current job (I've been there < 1 year). If it is a claims made policy, is there a way for me to figure out how much tail coverage would cost without notifying my SP? My SP is not aware I'm looking for a new position. Also, when accepting a new job, does anyone discuss having the tail covered by the new employer? I'm hoping it will not cost too much because if I have to pay for it, this may hinder my ability to get a new job. Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• 7 months later...
As a new graduate I'm totally overwhelmed with trying to find an insurance policy. I have so many questions, but don't know where to look. Aren't PA's generally covered by the supervising physician? Why do I need a policy if that's the case? How do I know how much coverage I need? What aspects of the policy do I need to concern myself with?

Basically I need to be schooled on the whole topic all together. Any suggestions?

It is very important to have medical malpractice insurance cover to protect you and your job against claims of medical negligence resulting in injury of a patient. Failure to do so could result in a legal claim being brought against you for damages in the event of a claim. Well before committing yourself to a of an insurance company you should always do a background check on them. Find out how much coverage they can give you and compare it with your colleague.

Also just went through pricing Med Mal for my new place

Well the difference in Occurance and Claims made really came out in the wash after 3 years - so I choose the occurance as the coverage does not require a tail......

there is some great posts on insurance already on this forum - dig back a ways and read them - in short your employer should be providing either occurance or claims made WITH THE TAIL COVERAGE INCLUDED - this must be negotiated on hire - otherwise you will have to pay for it when you leave the position.....

Archived