Thinking about applying to Wingate for 2015 class

• 3 months later...

In the interests of fairness, I'll only give my experience interviewing at Wingate, which I would describe in a word as... severe.

Now don't get me wrong. Ms. Irving is nothing but kind, and the students seem happy and approachable. But my interviews with the staff seemed unusually adversarial. The program director complained that she already knew a few of her first-years were going to flunk out. The professors interviewing my group seemed impatient with our answers to the group scenario.

They ask you what your religion is (which is their prerogative as a private Christian institution, but still...). The students are not allowed to wear jeans or t-shirts to class. They've shortened the time period in which your prerequisites have to be taken to 5 years, which strikes me as absurd, as it pretty much shuts out anyone who did anything after undergrad except start applying to PA programs (I mean, god help you if you took statistics your freshman year. That means you've got one year to get in hundreds of hours of patient care experience, impress people so they'll write your letters of recommendation, and put your CASPA package together. Otherwise, you'll have to retake it.)

Let me put it this way: the smartest PA I know worked as a paramedic for 6 years before going back to school. According to Wingate, he wouldn't even get an interview.

All of this is typical of a private religious Southern school, but when I look at their PANCE pass rate, I kind of feel that if the program is going to act like it's better than everyone else, it should, well, actually *be* better. Especially given that you're paying Wake/Duke levels of tuition.

Obviously, if they're your only route into the profession, go with it. Maybe your experience will be entirely different from mine. I was actually offered admission back in November but turned it down immediately, and never doubted I'd made the right choice for me.

Just one girl's opinion.

In the interests of fairness, I'll only give my experience interviewing at Wingate, which I would describe in a word as... severe.

Now don't get me wrong. Ms. Irving is nothing but kind, and the students seem happy and approachable. But my interviews with the staff seemed unusually adversarial. The program director complained that she already knew a few of her first-years were going to flunk out. The professors interviewing my group seemed impatient with our answers to the group scenario.

They ask you what your religion is (which is their prerogative as a private Christian institution, but still...). The students are not allowed to wear jeans or t-shirts to class. They've shortened the time period in which your prerequisites have to be taken to 5 years, which strikes me as absurd, as it pretty much shuts out anyone who did anything after undergrad except start applying to PA programs (I mean, god help you if you took statistics your freshman year. That means you've got one year to get in hundreds of hours of patient care experience, impress people so they'll write your letters of recommendation, and put your CASPA package together. Otherwise, you'll have to retake it.)

Let me put it this way: the smartest PA I know worked as a paramedic for 6 years before going back to school. According to Wingate, he wouldn't even get an interview.

All of this is typical of a private religious Southern school, but when I look at their PANCE pass rate, I kind of feel that if the program is going to act like it's better than everyone else, it should, well, actually *be* better. Especially given that you're paying Wake/Duke levels of tuition.

Obviously, if they're your only route into the profession, go with it. Maybe your experience will be entirely different from mine. I was actually offered admission back in November but turned it down immediately, and never doubted I'd made the right choice for me.

Just one girl's opinion.

• 2 years later...

The information posted above is not accurate in 2014. To me, there is no religious undercurrent in the program, as the program regularly admits students of Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, and Christian faiths.  Folks who are of other faiths or who are atheists are welcome as well.   

The program is under regular evaluation and revision by the faculty to provide the best education possible. The last year's class PANCE pass rate was 100% on the first try.  Most, if not all, of the graduates have job offers (some have several) before graduation.  

As a 2014 applicant and interviewee I want to confirm what @urgently said. There was no religious undercurrent in the program. Never once was I asked about religion, nor were the other interviewees. While the interview questions were a little more difficult than others I had, they were well reasoned and nothing that couldn't be answered. The staff seemed very dedicated and most have been there since the start of the program which shows that they are invested in the program. If I end up attending this program, I will be very proud to be a part of such an amazing program.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived