Accepted at one, interviewing at another

Hey there. I applied to several schools, and got accepted into a school that I'd say ties for my number one choice. After acceptance, I pulled my applications from all but the other top choice of mine, which I will be interviewing at in a couple days. My question: should I keep it secret that I've been accepted somewhere else? On one hand, maybe being accepted somewhere might make me seem more valuable, but on the other hand, I don't want to seem arrogant, or like I don't have a sincere interest in attending the program I'm interviewing at. Granted, my mere presence at the interview likely demonstrates my interest, especially since it's on the opposite side of the US.

My gut feeling says that I shouldn't say anything about my acceptance unless I'm asked about it, in which case I provide the details. But I'd be happy to hear how other students have handed a similar situation.

Thanks!

I was in your same situation. The interview at my #1 choice school was my fifth interview; by the time I went, I'd already been accepted elsewhere. At none of my interviews did they ask anything involving other programs. The closest was when they asked the group if it was their first interview, which was a gateway to how we should all relax.

I think it's best to use honesty in these situations, but I don't think it will even be an issue. If it is, I would spin it into a positive without mentioning the other choice. "Program B seems amazing because of X, Y, and Z and I wanted to see if I fit."

While the interviewers likely won't talk about this, the other interviewees certainly did. One guy even asked me to tell him about the other program I'd been accepted to...in the middle of the conference hall for my #1 choice. Yikes. How 'bout we not talk about that right now and right here as I'd really like to focus on this school.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. :)

I was asked during an interview what other programs I had interviewed with I was then; asked where their program fell on my list. I was also asked if I had been accepted to any programs at that point which I hadnt....only waitlisted. At no point did I volunteer info, but I was honest and very tactful when asked.

Wanted to say "Hi" since we're in similar situations! Hopefully the replies from my thread help you too. I don't know how many schools you applied to, but part of my rationale besides the obvious wanting to be honest is that I've heard schools know what other CASPA schools you applied to, and with the number I've applied to, it wouldn't reflect well on me if I hadn't been offered a seat somewhere! :)

Archived