system based flashcards

Not sure what you are looking for in your system by system...I bought Netters A&P flashcards which also contains imaging studies but never used them. Are you looking for A&P or something more along the lines of disease pathology and the like?

I can appreciate the time it takes to write them, but do you feel that the physical act of making them helps you retain the information better? I don't know about your program, but in the one I am in, they give us objectives to understand as a framework for digesting the information they are putting forth. The objectives are found out of Bates or Robbins. These objectives are pretty direct and our tests are made from the information held within. I would be concerned with the education model I am under that commercially prepared cards may not share similar enough information.

Just a couple of thoughts...good luck !

Im past anatomy and into modules so Im looking for disease process type cards....like cards for derm with photos on the front, descriptions/signs/symptoms/common causes on the back would be nice. The actual physical act of writing them does not help me retain the info, the repetitiveness does which is why I do not mind premade cards

Our programs are different....now that we are in the modules we have been encouraged to go beyond Bates and other texts to gain a better understanding of disease processes so it would be more beneficial to have cards from other sources incorporated into my learning....any special notes found within Bates or other texts can simply be written as add ins on the cards.

these cards are not meant to be the only source of learning, merely a component

I made my own. Yes they are time consuming. But I made them and they were very helpful during rotations and was pretty much all I studied for the PANCE. I used 3x5 cards and prepunched holes in the top for 3 ring binder rings. I have them on my desk at work and still refer to them from time to time. I recommend pairing up with another classmate and come up with a format and then split up the dz within each system. We would get together for study sessions and then copy each others cards.

On every card we would have. (in color coded inK)

short definition of the dz= dark blue

Eitology/Risk Factors= purple

S/S physical exam findings= light blue

Diagnotics/labs/image findings=black

Treatment=Green

Counterindications or really important stuff to know=red

usually the first 3 on the front and the last 3 sections on the back. I also color coded the systems on the edges of the cards. Red=Cardio, Blue=Pulm etc.... I would keep all the cards together by system and the diseases alphabetical. This was handy when being pimped I could look up any disease faster than the med students could pull ut their pocket book/ of pull up up-to-date and search for the answer.

I say make your own, the act of doing it will help you learn.

I appreciate the advice really I do but I want the flashcards and nothing is going to change my mind on that. Ive been making my own and honestly do not find the act of making them helpful.....only the act of using them has been helpful (people are welcome to disagree thats fine)

Point is I dont want to make them anymore if I dont have to; Im a single parent and as such, I have decided that the time spent writing these could be better spent with my daughter. Sorry if people do not agree with this.....but it is my choice and if it turns out to be the wrong choice then I will go back to writing them.

As of right now does anyone know of any diagnostic flashcards?

Guest cabkrun

I believe Kaplan makes usmle flashcards that you might find helpful. Various areas including diagnostics. Not sure if that is what you are looking for or if they would be helpful, but are the only thing that crossed my brain at the moment.

Good luck!

-s

I saw those....if they are the ones that Im thinking about, I plan to get them for self quizzing but I found some through mosbys that seem like they might fit the bill.....changed up my search terms a little bit and they just popped up :smile:

I believe Kaplan makes usmle flashcards that you might find helpful. Various areas including diagnostics. Not sure if that is what you are looking for or if they would be helpful, but are the only thing that crossed my brain at the moment.

Good luck!

-s

I appreciate the advice really I do but I want the flashcards and nothing is going to change my mind on that. Ive been making my own and honestly do not find the act of making them helpful.....only the act of using them has been helpful (people are welcome to disagree thats fine)

Same here, the act of writing them does nothing for me, (I’m not a kinesthetic learner) only repetition does it.

In our school, we’re doing is dz’s and how to treat em etc.

What I did was get the PA Review (Patrick Auth, Morris Kerstein) copy the pages for the dz I want, cut it out and tape it to a 3x5 index card. No writing, they’re complete because I don’t have to condense anything. The book is fantastic in that it’s outline format to begin with and the cards are professional-like.

Hope this helps.

Now that sounds like a super idea!!

Same here, the act of writing them does nothing for me, (I’m not a kinesthetic learner) only repetition does it.

In our school, we’re doing is dz’s and how to treat em etc.

What I did was get the PA Review (Patrick Auth, Morris Kerstein) copy the pages for the dz I want, cut it out and tape it to a 3x5 index card. No writing, they’re complete because I don’t have to condense anything. The book is fantastic in that it’s outline format to begin with and the cards are professional-like.

Hope this helps.

On every card we would have. (in color coded inK)

short definition of the dz= dark blue

Eitology/Risk Factors= purple

S/S physical exam findings= light blue

Diagnotics/labs/image findings=black

Treatment=Green

Counterindications or really important stuff to know=red

HopefulPA, mind if I borrow this? I also like to make flashcards and think your method would be helpful and direct. Thanks!!

Archived