Supplies and equipment

My program has helpfully sent me a list of medical supplies I will need over the next few years, so I did a bit of comparison shopping online. There seems to be a wide range of prices and--I'm assuming--quality. Should I buy products that are meant to last since I'll be using them for many years, or are these supplies I will use for school and never touch again? Do you (and I mean you specifically, rather than generally) use your "school" items in your actual practice? Don't offices usually come equipped with these products? (Let's assume I'll work in an office rather than traveling around, which would likely dictate bringing my own.)

I am familiar with, and like, Littman stethoscopes so I'll be sticking with that, but any ideas on the other items? Additionally, are there any items you wish you had purchased but didn't because they weren't on the list? Any you thought weren't necessary?

I appreciate your input!!

The oto/opthalmascope is a big piece of change if you go with the full on fancy Welch Allen. I am still wondering where they cram 500 dollars worth of value into that thing.

I went with the ADC set off of Amazon for 150 bucks. I had to buy an insufflator separately for an additional 10 bucks. The tuning forks, tape measure, reflex hammer are all getting use during our first quarter. There is some sharing of equipment between students during the clinical exam testing if something broke or you forgot something but we also go visit retirees in their residents. During those visits you are doing exams solo on the volunteer in their living room. Without the gear, you can't do the exam correctly.

I also keep in the back of my head that doing remote medicine in disaster or overseas settings still sits on my list of things I would like to do someday. If I am going to travel into a difficult situation, I like to at least stack the deck with some things I can control..like the quality of the gear I'll use.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, one more question...BP cuffs. There seems to be a wide variety in those, too. I thought I had one from my Army days, but clearly not. :( Any recommendations on brands?

JustSteve, are you happy with the ADC set? I about fell off my chair when I got to pricing the Welch Allyns. O_o

Thanks!

I have a nice welch-allyn oto-ophthalmoscope that was my dad's that I take to Haiti with me.

if I had to buy one for school though I would go cheap on most everything. you will never use a tuning fork again for example.

I bought a littman cardiology 2 scope for school but now use a 60 dollar classic 2 se. the cardiology scope is just way to heavy to carry around your neck all day long.

I went as cheap as possible on everything but the stethoscope. The diagnostic set, an ADC I got on Amazon for like 120 bucks, was garbage. The light was so dim that I could not visualize anything but the red reflex. My professors (practicing PAs) could not either. I immediately picked up a classmate's Welch Allyn set and could see vasculature and so forth.

I sold that back at like a 20 dollar loss and bought a used WA set on eBay for like 300. It hurt but it was necessary.

Ok, one more question...BP cuffs. There seems to be a wide variety in those, too. I thought I had one from my Army days, but clearly not. :( Any recommendations on brands?

JustSteve, are you happy with the ADC set? I about fell off my chair when I got to pricing the Welch Allyns. O_o

Thanks!

The ADC set worked just fine. You will need some slip covers as well for the otoscope so don't forget to get a pack of disposables.

Archived