Difference beteen scrubs for doctors and nurses

Hi can any one tell me if there is a difference between the scrubs for doctors and nurses?

Also, does the colour of the scrubs indicate if they are doctors or nurses?

I am in Indonesia and here the hospitals use only one colour - dark green in the theatres.

Thank you.

That totally depends on the hospital. They all have their own policies. I have worked in hospitals that have different colors for different departments, different colors for different size scrubs, & hospitals that have all the same color. Then there are instances where employees are allowed to buy their own personal scrubs to wear as their uniform that are not considered hospital scrubs, & these could be any color or pattern depending on the dress code.

No difference between "doctors" scrubs and "nurses" scrubs. There is a difference between men and women scrubs. Some hospitals are starting to color coordinate for different job roles. At my hospital nurses wear dark blue, MAs wear maroon, and PA/NPs and docs wear black.

Thanks every one for your replies, what does 'MA' stand for?

It varies. I have been at 2 hospital systems:

Hospital A: Docs/PAs/NPs and Med/PA studentss wore cyan/lt blueish scrubs, RT=Black scrubs, Transportors=Navy Blue RNs/LPNs/CNAs/Sitters/Clerks=whatever color they wanted usually not those previously mentioned.

Hospital B: Docs/PAs/NPs and Med/PA students wore cyan/lt blueish scrubs, RNs=Navy Blue, CNAs=beige, RTs=Royal Blue, PT/OT=Maroon I prefer it here because the color coding helps to find the right person when you need something quick. At Hospital A when you need a a RN you sometimes had to ask several people before you got one. At hospital B if I need a RN I just go up to Navy Blue if I need a CNA.....

At Hospital C(rotation) Docs/PAs/NPs and Med/PA students wore cyan/lt blueish scrubs, and other positions color coded just as Hospital B but I don't remember the colors. But at All 3 Hospital systems the docs et al wore the same color scrubs.

The last time I was in a hospital setting full time where scrubs was an option, was in the mid 90's. I was a surgical tech and it was made very clear that scrubs are meant for the OR and not for casual wear around the hospital grounds, in the car driving to and from work, or any of that stuff.

Has the notion that scrubs were meant to decrease the bio load on the clothes of employees gone out the window? It seems that everyone and their dog wears scrubs in all settings, under all conditions. It's more of a uniform of sorts rather than a utilitarian piece. Is this a fair assessment? Do surgical suites try to control where the OR team wears their scrubs or have they given up on that?

At the main hospital where I'm rotating, you will get yelled at if you try to walk out of the hospital wearing the OR (green) scrubs, and you're expected to wear your white coat over them if you're outside the OR/PACU area. The residents wear a different color of scrubs if they're on overnight call, and they're slightly less strict about these.

The other hospital doesn't really care - I know some of the MDs will be in surgery in the morning and then just keep wearing those scrubs to see patients in the office in the afternoon. I do get a little grossed out when I see people wearing scrubs to the grocery store, out to dinner, etc...

Ill add that those of us in the lab at my hospital can wear whatever we want(minus shorts and open toed shoes) but most choose to wear scrubs because they're comfortable and it's not a big deal if they get dirty. I don't care if serum or csf splatters onto my scrubs but I wouldn't want it on my jeans.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I'll piggyback on what PAMAC said... There is a difference between hospital issued scrubs that are technically not supposed to leave the hospital & are washed in the hospital laundry, & the scrubs that can be bought in any uniform store that you will often see medical personnel wear to/from work.

The ones from the hospital are hospital property & are supposed to be worn in designated areas only & then taken off & returned to the hospital laundry to prevent infection control under OSHA regulations, etc. But, if an employee is not required to wear hospital scrubs that they must remove for infection control purposes (or for identification purposes with different colors, etc.) then they will wear clothing that they buy themselves & wear to & from work. And, if they are allowed to wear personal scrubs, then you will see them wearing all manner of colors/patterns if the dress code allows for it.

But, as many have pointed out, hospitals can be lax on enforcing the rules when it comes to hospital issued scrubs being worn outside the hospital. I know providers who tend to collect scrub sets from all the places they've worked. When I was at Madigan, everyone wore them as pajamas in the barracks. Doctors are probably the worst offenders, BTW.

My hospital issues scrubs, and anyone who enters the OR has to wear the green scrubs. But, our RNs that never go into that area wear their own (self-bought) scrubs. I wear scrubs more so to protect myself than anything, I would rather not get amniotic fluid/blood/other baby gunk on my own clothes. Because I'm very rarely scruubed in I have no problem wearing my scrubs to and from work. I also wash my scrubs at home because whatever the hospital laundry uses makes me break out in hives. I like scrubs because they're comfortable (especially since I sleep in them at work) and if they get gross or ripped or whatever I can just return them to the surgi-suite and get a new pair.

• 5 years later...

Archived