Liberal Arts to PA - Much needed Input on the path!!!

Hindsight is always 20/20, right?

Please share all your input to help me with this long term plan please....here goes:

I have a BA in Comm/Psych and I just turned 29 and now looking at a career shift into PA. It's been a long and tough road to get to where I'm at so far. If I could do it all over again I would have never fell into liberal arts but, I did and now I'm paying for it. I know I'm still young (although I don't feel it) and have plenty of time to see an ROI on this long term investment into PA if I play my cards right. I fully understand the need for experience in the healthcare field before embarking on PA school. I don't necessarily support "the easy" or "cheap" route into PA school by trying to do the least possible HCE out there to get into a school. My previous experience consists of entry-level social work, claims at insurance company, personal trainer/owner of a fitness company, independent trainer, retail and physical therapy aide. I was on the band wagon of becoming a PT but quickly realized the awful financial investment that would become. Needless to say, with my fitness background, entrepreneurial spirit and understanding of the body and movement I've looked to the healthcare field for job stability and interact with people while helping them solve problems.

My financial situation is as such: 55k in undergrad debt that I can barely make payments on plus all my other living expenses, holding down 2 jobs that are mediocre, living back with family for 3rd time in my 20's (ahghghghgh)

Problem 1: In order to preserve my sanity I really need to get back on my own two feet while gaining more direct patient care experience. My PT aide position & retail really aren't cutting it as far as money, schedule and the HCE required for PA school entry. Even though Ortho is my true passion I know I need other experience as well. I Really, REALLY want to get started on the path to PA but I'm choked about how to juggle bringing home the dough while simultaneously starting this path. I've researched all the paths to HCE for PA school but it comes down to money (investment to get that training & ability to make a half way decent wage in it) and being able to really get a job in whatever that path is (I live in Mass btw).

So, what paths are out there that can give me a take home salary of at least $2500/month??? I realize I will probably have to still work another job.

Problem 2: Should I just figure out financing at this point and start my pre-reqs or just focus on financing for whatever other training I will need for HCE???

By the looks of it I will have to get financing for the training for HCE, my pre-reqs then PA school (never mind undergrad). I've preliminarily looked at that figure and its enormous and scary. Aghghghgh. I feel lost and hopeless. I know there have been people out there in a similar situation (maybe even worse) who have successfully become a PA. But HOW!?!?!

Currently, I'm establishing volunteer and shadowing experience which I'm hoping I can at the very least establish a good network for my future. Time is ticking for establishing financing for training or for pre-reqs. Come January I want to be onto something that is going to move me forward. Period.

All comments, advice and input is welcome. Thanks in advan

I have no idea how to get you that kind of money. I've certainly never made that kind of dough. My HCE came primarily from being a PT aide.

How many hours do you have right now? I mean, if you're this concerned about money and you already have adequate experience in healthcare, I would focus on your pre-reqs and find a job that meets your $$ needs regardless of what sector it's in. Find a community college that offers the classes at night and on weekends. There are differing views on this, but I got into my top choice and got interviews at several other excellent schools with almost all my pre-requisite classes from a community college.

You can work and go to school at the same time. I had all of my science classes paid for by the hospital I worked at - yeah, I'm serious. Definitely reduces the financial burden.

First thing: start taking the PA pre-reqs and get all A's.

I don't see working as a PTA, CNA, or EMT giving you that kind of take home (after taxes) income.

Thinking outside the box, there is always the military. They would be more than willing to pay you to become a PA.

Also, the Public Health Service will pay for your PA school. Every year they pay for you owe them 2 years. Same benefits of the military without the compulsory trip to south-central Asia. You just can't mind working in an undeserved area: prisons, Indian reservations, urban clinics, etc.

I am not sure how far you are into your undergrad degree but I believe that you are right at or very close to the undergrad cap for educational loans so any more undergrad work will be out of your pocket unless you finish your Liberal arts degree. Afterward you can apply for grad loans which the cap starts all over. This way, you can take a one-two year masters program in say biomedical sciences or something close. This does three things. First, it will keep you in deferment, which you will not have to pay on your school loans while in school. Second, it will reduce your living expenses because you will not have to pay the loan payments and thus take a lower paying job while in school. Finally, the masters degree will satisfy your pre-reqs required for PA school. I work as a paramedic and make under that amount so I think you are going to be hard pressed to find a job that will pay you that much outside of anything less than an RN level job or higher such as NP, PA, or MD. After that, you can apply to PA school.

I just posted about a similar situation. I was in your position too, although not as in debt (I was about 10K in student loans) But, I had a mortgage and needed to make enough to support a house and living expenses. I also had taken a pay cut to be a PT aide, then got laid off from that job before I got all the hours I needed for the school I wanted to go to. I felt completely helpless after being laid off and wondered if it was worth it - I felt like the world was telling me not to bother being a PA. BUT, I also realized I never wanted to be in a position like this again (unemployed and struggling to find a job that paid more than $12hr) Anyway, loosing my job forced me to drop the house and as many expenses as possible and I moved into a small apartment to cut expenses. Now, I'm about to start volunteering and just signed up with the volunteer fire dept to get some EMT training (for free) then, I'll volunteer. I also looked into schools that don't require HCE, and there are plenty of good ones - that said, it would still be a good thing to have some experience to be competitive. I did all my pre-requisites while I had the great paying job and just paid for them out of pocket as I went along - it took a few years, and a hellava lot of stress, but I don't owe a dime and because I just took one or two classes at a time, and I got good grades.

My best advice is to give yourself a timeline (mine was two and a half years before I could apply, but now has been extended to three or four). Just give yourself attainable goals for each year. Take the pre-requisites on nights and weekends and just concentrate on getting good grades. If you think of all the steps all at once you will drive yourself crazy. Writing things down helps for me to organize my thoughts . . . I wish you the best of luck!

I have a sociology undergrad background and a masters in social science (about 10K in undergrad debt and no grad debt) I have spent the last 5 years working full time as a project coordinator at a university recruiting patients in a variety of places (Geriatrics, Hospital Medicine, and Emergency Medicine) while working towards becoming a PA. By working for the university I was able to take most of my pre-req classes at the university for 85% off which equals out to about 400 bucks for a 3 credit hr class. This set up has worked out really well for me because I definitely make the take home pay that you are wanting and I work closely with the chair of the department who is world known and wrote one of my recommendation letters. However, one thing to consider is that many schools do not consider this type of job to be direct patient care. While I have 10K + hrs of patient contact only about 1200 of them count as direct patient care (a few of my studies require Med Tech type activities). BUT all other aspects of my application were great (I applied to 12 schools and have gotten 9 interviews so far (attended 3) and 3 acceptances). Any way that you go is going to be a few years but with a psych background you could find a job in research pretty easily.

Sorry I don't see how you can earn that kind of money in entry level healthcare. Maybe work 2 jobs , keep your PT job and maybe get a second parttime job as a home healthcare aid or security guard, something that will allow you to be able to study so you can start knocking out those pre-reqs. That or keep staying with family.

Thanks for replies...

I'm well out of undergrad and pay $600/month in loans for that. I've already used up my forbearances and adjusted payments where I could. Unfortunately, most of it is private loans. I know I will not be able to get a job that will bring me that kind of take home unless I join corporate america or work 2 or more jobs. I currently work 2. I believe I mentioned that. My plan for the time being with regard to money is to get into restaurant work to help bridge the financial gap. This will afford me to later nix the retail job. I want to stay as PT aide. One, for the patient care experience (although not the best); and two, I want to treat as a PA in Ortho and eventually see myself in the surgery realm. So a PT office is where it's at right now for me in terms of exposure and contacts with Ortho MD's.

I more so was wondering what jobs could yield something higher than $10/hr? Mass is tough and pretty well regulated so there are really no "on the job training" gigs here. You either drop the dough and time to get a cert, then do the rig-a-ma-role of sifting through "experienced only" job listings and utilize networks to get in. Mass is expensive to live in, especially around the areas that pay more. COLA is relative as we know.

Someone mentioned military: yea I thought of that for a brief moment in time. I seriously considered and even met with a recruiter. It's enticing...where else are you gonna get paid to get educated?!?! But, I'd be joining for all the wrong reasons and I just assume not make that sort of commitment. However, a well noted suggestion. Thanks.

Someone mentioned loan repayment programs: I've looked into all that. Very enticing as well. I know these programs don't accept folks who want to go into something else other than Primary Care. I have no interest in primary care whatsoever so I kind of put that one away after research. I suppose I could just suck it up for the few years of commitment but I will cross that bridge when I get there come job seeking time.

As far as school and pre-reqs....the more I read and think about it, I might just start going for the pre-reqs and not the other route of paying for more experience. Not sure how this might turn out: I'm looking at just two schools; Northeastern and MCPHS which are both in state for me. One requires pre-reqs from a four year institution, which I think is bull but I will go with it. That one is harder on HCE but cheaper overall and by all means a far better program but, exceptionally competitive. The other the exact opposite. However, still competitive and by all means a good program. So community college seems out if I want to make myself more competitive given my background even though that aggravates me because of cost but...it is what it is.

The idea about using my psych background is great and I've definitely researched it. My road block there is finding work that doesn't require more certs. I thought of the clinical coordinator position and I've known people in it that are going into nursing now but their positions required a an MA/CMA or other equivalent experience such as CNA/HHA etc. There's no doubt I can do that stuff, it's just convincing those that matter to take chance on me.

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming!

Here would be my plan:

Nix the restaurant job. Take out a credit card and pay $500 to get your CNA (1 month long class). Take Bio 1 and Chem 1 at a community college in the spring. You can now defer all your loans until you are a PA. Find a job as a CNA (12/hr) and try to get on full time. Your best bet to pull 2500 a month is find a job with tuition reimbursement. If you can get that you will get an extra 5-10K reimbursed a year. Work 36 hours as a CNA ideally somewhere you can do homework.

Take stats and continue working that summer.

In the fall go back to university and take microbiology and AP 1. If you have saved enough money to move out then do so, otherwise keep sticking it out at home. Remember your student loans are being deferred so you can move out if you want. In the spring take AP 2 and whatever other prereqs you need. Apply that spring/summer and finish up any missing prereqs in the summer/fall.

Average CNA salary is 12/hr.

This is a tough one. I was in a similar boat (though with no undergrad debt, thankfully). I quit a decent job to do prereqs full time, and it's been a hard adjustment at times. In my opinion, though, it is so worth it. Taking classes at a community college has saved my life financially (and I know this may not be an option for you, but I would really look into it because you may be able to use your deferred student loan payment you would have otherwise had to pay toward paying for classes out of pocket--a lot of CCs have payment programs). I work part time and get student loans because I have a pretty stacked schedule and don't have time for more work. But if you take only a couple of classes a semester, I think you can still work full time.

It's a stressful path, but it's worth it. Just start going for it by signing up for one class now, and the pieces will fall together if you keep working hard. Also, cut out absolutely every other unneccessary expense. You'll be able to afford lattes and new clothes when you're a PA, but maybe not until then.

Best wishes,

Nicole

Archived