Working on my low GPA

I have an undergrad GPA of 2.4. I know it's extremely low, but I'm currently pursuing a post-bacc degree in Bio to raise it as much as I can. So far, I've been doing great, but I'm worried that my GPA still won't be high enough (~2.6/2.7) for PA school once I'm done! Can anyone give me any pointers? I'm taking a bunch of extra science classes and I'm hoping that will help me out as well. Any thing else I can do?! Any advice is appreciated!

A 2.6-2.7 is showing improvement, but is still in no way competitive and most-likely will not get you into PA school. In order for most schools to accept your application, you've got to have at least a 3.0 overall and science GPA. Granted that's just so they look at your application; the average GPA's for acceptance are upwards of 3.5. There are a few schools that will still consider your application if you show a positive upward trend of your last 45-60 credit hours. How are you on HCE? My advice would be to pick up an associate's degree in a health related field (Respiratory Therapy, Paramedic, Nursing....). I decided to get my associates in Respiratory after my bachelor's. After two years you end up with top tier HCE and an improved GPA, since almost all of my classes counted towards my overall and science GPA's. Spend a few years in the working world to pile up some great HCE, then give it your best shot! (I'm in the process of waiting for interviews as we speak...) In no means am I trying to be discouraging, it can be done....but you have at minimum another 3+ years between schooling to rehab the GPA and to get work experience to give yourself a legitimate shot.

You have almost no chance of getting in with a GPA<3. I would work towards a new BS degree similar to what I have done. When I was young, I got a BA degree in psyc with a 2.5 GPA. Later, when I had matured, I went back to school and got a BS in medical technology (MT). I graduated with a 4.0 gpa. This took me 3 years to do but I don't see that you have any other choice.

Archived