PANCE: 1st Time taking it.

Hi, I am taking the PANCE exam for the 1st time, I know its a new PANCE of 300 question: So far I have this stuff: AAPA book,JAMES van rhee, Step up to medicine, Packrat question. Now i want to know wts best to study from and wt alse I should get, wt about PA easy.com questions, Kaplan questions. If any one who took the PANCE after JUNE can guide me, Thanks a lot.

I took the exam in September. My preparation included the 3 day Certified Medical Educators review course as well as 3 weeks of studying primarily from the AAPA review book and the Lange Q & A book. The review course is fantastic, and well worth the money, however, I believe my independent studying was just as helpful. I went through the AAPA book in detail and made sure I understood the blueprint topics really well. I referred to class notes or other review sources to flesh out topics I was weaker in. Most importantly, I went through some practice questions from the Lange book and other sources (the CME materials and packrat questions) everyday. I recommend that you do as many questions as you can in 60 question blocks, and time yourself. I personally though the exam was much harder than I was expecting, but the preparation paid off and I did very well.

I didn't use any of the other books you mentioned, but I am sure they are also great. You probably don't need much else other than the time go through it all. Create a study schedule to cover all the blue print topics and go through what you have (especially the AAPA book) really well. If you get anything else, make it a book of practice questions.

Hi...I took the pance many years ago, and from what I remember, there were a lot of questions related to physical exam findings for specific medical problems...like percussion and egophany findings on PE of a pt with pneumonia etc... I have taken the review courses offered by George Washington University for both the PANRE and PANCE over the years and highly recommend their program because it is short and gets right to the point of covering what you need, leaving you with a good outline of what to expand on via your home reading. I just survived another recert, and was caught up in that whole farce where the exams were incorrectly graded...thankfully, it's behind me for another 6 yrs...I wish you all the luck in the world!!

You have spent the last couple of years of your life preparing for this exam. If you went to a decent program, got decent grades, and performed well on your rotation exams, I would not stress too much. Take these last couple of weeks to review any areas you think are particularly scared about (for me, usually endocrine) and then dive in!

Good luck!

I took it in August, received an 800. I based my studying off the AAPA Subject blueprint, obviously spending more time on cardio/pulm/GI/MS/reproductive.

I first went through all the PACKRATS I owned and read through the AAPA book, taking note of things I got wrong/didn't know. I then spent one day on a subject (i.e pulmonary) then the next day did every question I could find relating to it (via AAPA, datachem, Davis). This took about 2 weeks.

Did I over study? You bet. Did I feel like I failed the exam when I left it? Yup!.... But, I would rather over prepare for a test of this magnitude :)

Good luck!

I just took the test this week and got an 800. I studied both of my epackrats I took while in my PA program and the AAPA book front to back probably 3-4 times. I bought a KAPLAN book but I felt like I got so frustrated that the questions were so difficult and had too many zebras that I gave up about 1/3 of the way through.

Archived