Working in Surgery and Family Practice at the Same Time

Hello Everybody,

I first want to thank everyone who contributes to this forum, it has provided me with a wealth of information about the PA profession. I am currently in the process of interviewing with PA schools.

In my PA shadowing experiences I really enjoyed both Family Practice and Surgery. I would like to know if there are PA's working in both at the same time? I am imagining a situation in which after graduating school I could work in both areas. Perhaps doing one more than the other, but still being active in both types of medicine.

Does this sound realistic or practical? I am sure I have not thought of all the possible reasons it may or may not work, and would appreciate you comments.

Thank You All

Hello Everybody,

I first want to thank everyone who contributes to this forum, it has provided me with a wealth of information about the PA profession. I am currently in the process of interviewing with PA schools.

In my PA shadowing experiences I really enjoyed both Family Practice and Surgery. I would like to know if there are PA's working in both at the same time? I am imagining a situation in which after graduating school I could work in both areas. Perhaps doing one more than the other, but still being active in both types of medicine.

Does this sound realistic or practical? I am sure I have not thought of all the possible reasons it may or may not work, and would appreciate you comments.

Thank You All

It's not impossible but you may want to have a plan to approach it. Generalist PA education gives a great foundation to FP, but it is actual work experience where you gain your skills.

I would suggest starting in one field- probably FP first- and work for a yr or so, get your feet wet, and then find a surgery job where you could work on the side. The downside is that whatever job you take later will be hard to gain speed if you are doing it PT.

In a nutshell, get good at one thing first instead of trying to master two separate fields simultaneously.

It's not impossible but you may want to have a plan to approach it. Generalist PA education gives a great foundation to FP, but it is actual work experience where you gain your skills.

I would suggest starting in one field- probably FP first- and work for a yr or so, get your feet wet, and then find a surgery job where you could work on the side. The downside is that whatever job you take later will be hard to gain speed if you are doing it PT.

In a nutshell, get good at one thing first instead of trying to master two separate fields simultaneously.

Not feasible, especially as a new grad. (IMO) When a hospital or practice is hiring someone part time, they mostly want someone with command of the practice. Especially in surgery. Also, how can you ever rise to a high level of practice and autonomy when you are practicing two ENORMOUS fields. Family medicine traditionally includes primary care, urgent care, and gynecology. General surgery includes a varierty of skills depending on hospital. You wouldnt even be jack of trades, master of none. I fear you would be with your head under water in two very robust trades.

My friend is a PA in surgery. She works at an academic center for the last 7 years since she started. She attends grand rounds, participates in research, and studies outside of work often. Only now has she moved to a position where she is considered chief resident. She still feels overwhelmed with the complexities of gen surg and critical care. She has a long way to go before she reaches her max and I cant see how she could also develop family practice alongside it.

Not feasible, especially as a new grad. (IMO) When a hospital or practice is hiring someone part time, they mostly want someone with command of the practice. Especially in surgery. Also, how can you ever rise to a high level of practice and autonomy when you are practicing two ENORMOUS fields. Family medicine traditionally includes primary care, urgent care, and gynecology. General surgery includes a varierty of skills depending on hospital. You wouldnt even be jack of trades, master of none. I fear you would be with your head under water in two very robust trades.

My friend is a PA in surgery. She works at an academic center for the last 7 years since she started. She attends grand rounds, participates in research, and studies outside of work often. Only now has she moved to a position where she is considered chief resident. She still feels overwhelmed with the complexities of gen surg and critical care. She has a long way to go before she reaches her max and I cant see how she could also develop family practice alongside it.

Archived