PA's working locum tenens

I am considering leaving my job to start working locum tenens. I'd like a change of pace and wouldn't mind seeing more pathology and variety of injuries. I am not sure how far my experience in Occ Med and urgent care is going carry me and I certainly don't want to do this for much longer. In my area regular FT jobs are tight. Do any PA-Cs out there have experience with this? What do you see are the possible gains and pitfalls of doing such work? Any pearls or words of advice?

Much thanks.

did a stint for staff care at a concentra and it was okay - they were only interested in getting me signed on for the work then really didn't care. Employer liked it as I helped out in a big time crunch period. Was already licensed in state

one HUGE thing is rather you are a 1099 contract or an employee of the staffing agency. strangly enough their does not seem to be any difference in pay rate, yet there is a HUGE difference in these two options for the financial side for you.

Rates are wierd - the per diem / locums rates really don't seem to be much higher then regular work rates - strange but I found most rates in the $50-60/hour range - which to me for locums is simply to low.

Was nice to get to the end of 13 weeks and say bye bye

Archived