Ethics of friendship/dating a former patient?

I honestly cant ever imagine dating someone who works in medicine let alone the same place of work. My boyfriend of almost 4 years works in TV, and its fantastic. I can't really talk about work too in depth, because 1) it makes him nauseous, or 2) his eyes glaze over from sheer boredom. and likewise when he comes home and talks about tv- I really don't care about how difficult editing that package was, or how irritating that senator was to interview. Of course we have crazy zaney things that we share, and we both ***** about that co-worker or boss we can't stand just to vent at home, but in general, our work stays at work, and when we get home we relax and talk about everything else.

I've found that my friends who all work in medicine, and my sister who is an RN for 5 years - all they EVER want to talk about, is work. And I really do need an escape from it all, and I find myself setting ground rules with them when I see them, like "no medicine talk", so that we can talk about what normal friends and sisters talk about. I could never imagine leaving work, and heading home to hear more about work. I'd go bonkers.

GREAT POST Steve...

Interesting story JmJ11.

This bring up a related issue...

It was once posited that part of the healthcare provider shortage in RURAL America is due to the ethics rules.

Since most physicians are/were single by the time they finished training... they were/are NOT going to move out to BFE where the chances of meeting a mate were/are slim to none.

Even if there happens to be a few attractive, eligible folks around... they are, or soon to be that provider's patients.

Now couple this with the typical schedule a rural provider works... then figure out how and when this person has time to drive 50-100 miles away to look for a date/potiental "life-partner" that doesn't land this provider in front of the BOM ethics panel...?

Just thoughts...

Imagine a solo PA in bush Alaska village of less than 1,000 people for a year or two 50 to 200 miles or more by air to another village! OUCH!

Yeah...

As a fellow PA with extensive "Remote Medicine in Austere Environments" experience... I get it...!!

Now imagine how that same scenario plays out in the rural "lower 48" daily.

For Clarity:

I'm just stating that I "understand how and/or why" it can happen in certain situations and circumstances.

In NO WAY am I suggesting, encouraging, or condoning providers dating their patients.

Just "Keepin it Real" instead of regurgitating the ideal...

YMMV

Archived