what's up with writing for controlled substance in Michigan?

Can someone clarify what I need to do?

When I went to change me DEA from another state to Michigan the federal site states taht Michigan requires a CDS permit but when you go to the Michigan site it says:

[TABLE=class: yiv647161831MsoNormalTable, width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD]If I obtain my Physician's Assistant license, am I eligible for a controlled substance license in Michigan?

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]No, an individual who is licensed as a physician's assistant in Michigan is not eligible for a controlled substance license.

Licensed physician's assistants are prohibited from independently prescribing controlled substances in Michigan. Under the delegation of a supervising licensed physician, a licensed physician's assistant may prescribe controlled substances in Schedules 3-5. The prescription of Schedule 2 controlled substances can be delegated if the physician and the physician's assistant are both practicing within a hospital, surgical outpatient facility, or hospice.

So, what is the real story?

What do I need to do to write controlled substances in the state of Michigan?

It doesn't come up often in my current practice and the admin here doesn't have the answer either.

Thanks in advance.

Susan

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

You just need a DEA. To get a DEA in Michigan your SP needs to write a delegation letter saying what you can prescribe (like schedules III-V) or II-V as discharge medications. You send it to the DEA office in Detroit.

Michigan doesn’t do controlled substance permits for PAs but says you don’t need them.

Archived